Rusted Mini 14 Barrel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by zant, Sep 27, 2009.

1. zant

zant Active Member

BIL was sold a Mini14 by a rich customer for 1.00....His basement flooded and rifle was stored barrel down,so 1st 3" is rusted.I told him to contact Ruger about new barrel installation..Right or wrong??
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

find a local smith first. The Mini14 is well known and well loved by many of them. Aftermarked replacements are everywere but there not cheap and neither is a barrel replacement.
    Have you tried cleaning it with a bore brush?
    I wish someone would sell me one for a buck.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How is it rusted?

Outside of the barrel has surface rust? Clean it off and cold blue if needed.

Outside of barrel has deep rust pits? Clean and cold blue. Might look okay.

Bore has surface rust? Clean well. Check. Still rusted? Get oil mop and steel wool. Wrap wool around mop. Soak with oil. Screw into short section of cleaning rod. Chuck into reversible drill. Slowly drill the mop down the barrel, from the muzzle end. Stop, reverse the drill, screw it back out. Do this many times. Keep adding oil. Every few minutes change the steel wool. After ten or fifteen minutes, check progress.

Shoot it before changing barrels or cutting the barrel or sending it off. Even if it was rusted all to hell, it still might shoot good.

17 caliber nylon-bristle bore brush might do better than the mop.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

What Alpo says is what I would try first.Dealing with the factory is seldom a good thing, not always bad but it could get that way.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know as I agree with the "dealing with the factory is bad" thing. Question comes up from time to time, on this board. "I just bought a bangen-shooter and it don't work right. How can I fix it?" My response has always been, "Box it up and ship it to the factory, sayin' 'FIX THIS PIECE OF JUNK'!" I mean, heck, you pay for a gun, it's supposed to work right.

But this isn't a factory screwup, it's customer abuse. So I'd try some fixes before I went to the factory. Ruger will fix it - of that I have no doubt. Either refurb or replace the barrel. But it'll cost. Even if they fixed it for free, it'd still cost 20 - 30 bucks to send it in. Try the cheap fix, first.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if'n it were mine i'd try cleaning it up and see if it still shot okay. for a dollar i mean come on you cant go wrong. then if it still shot okay it'd be my "take outside in the rain/snow gun"