RV and Cast;e

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by bobinaz123, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bobinaz123

bobinaz123 New Member

Question: is an RV considered your home (castle) when it is parked and you are living in it?
  2. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

My understanding is that different States have different interpretations of Castle Doctrine. I think most States recognize an RV as your home. However, I would suggest checking the laws of where you are traveling to, to be sure.

Tom
  3. old 33

old 33 New Member

I have an rv and it depends on the state you are parked in...but it also has something to do with what state the rv is registered in ....

That was my question when we travel...if you shoot an intruder...whats the laws?
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

You need to check with the local laws of where you will be parking it. Federal law also says if you are living there, it is your residence and you can keep a gun with you. When I travel across the country I stay in lots of hotels. I have seen no weapons signs, but they are not legal because federal law trumps a sign printed on their computer in the office.

I do not have the links or law numbers handy, but someone will come along and square that away.

Just because you travel, dont mean you give up you RIGHT to defend yourself and the laws support that.....
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

IF, you are licensed in your home state, you are legal to carry your firearm with you BUT, you must follow the laws of the state you are driving thru. Most times is goes like this: The weapon must not be accessable from the drivers compartment. The ammo must be separated from the weapon and stored in a different location. When parked, you can lock and load.
    Some states do not recognize the law. Ill comes to mind.

A motorhome, camper or 18 wheeler is considered an extention of your home. But as others have stated, check the local laws.

I hope this helps. :)
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

The Illinois State Police website states that for non-residents traveling with firearms in IL, the gun should be unloaded, enclosed in a case, and not immediately accessible.

As an Illinoisan (for now), I suggest you pick any or all of the other 49 states when traveling with a firearm!

Interestingly enough, once an IL resident gets his/her FOID card, they can carry an unloaded weapon in a closed container on their person, with a magazine in the same container, which makes automatics and fanny packs a big business here.

BUT, at Illinois gun shows "the (24- or 72-hour) waiting period does not apply to a buyer who is a dealer, law enforcement officer, or a nonresident at a gun show recognized by the Illinois Department of State Police." Go figure.

Several years ago I was on a camping trip out west, and was chatting with an RV owner about this very issue - home invasion in an RV. He said, "Well, I hate paperwork, so if anyone breaks in, they're not leaving til we find a spot down the road to dump the carcass."
  7. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Yep. Always check the laws of the State that your in. Too bad these laws can't be standardized. But, That would be too simple.