The Firearms Forum banner

Rye bread & sandwich thins

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeV 
#1 · (Edited)
It was a rainy Sunday here in NE Ohio, so I made a loaf of Party Rye and a dozen sandwich thins from the same batch of dough. Notice how nicely the slices lay over. The finished loaf is soft inside and chewy outside.

See less See more
#5 ·
how do you get you bread dough to raise that high?
i have tried several times and i cant get my loaf to get much more than 3" when it comes from the oven
The key to a nice rise is Instant yeast and room temperature ingredients. Follow the recipe on my website and you should get a good rise with your dough.

http://flyfishohio.us/Party Rye Bread.htm

Also, keep your dough covered with plastic wrap or a tea towel. Draft is the enemy of bread dough. I also stopped using tap water, because the water company puts lots of chlorine in our water, and chlorine kills yeast. I use water from our Brita filter.

#8 ·
Thanks Joe, I will try that soon. What temp do u want the room to be for the rise time?
That is an excellent question because folks keep their homes at different temps for different reasons. Bread likes about 75-80F to rise in 45-60 minutes. If it's cooler, it will take the dough longer to rise to where it doubles in size. Here's something new bread bakers need to know; the longer the dough takes to rise, the deeper the flavor of the bread becomes. Why? Because the longer rise time allows the release of the sugars in the wheat, which feeds the yeast and increases the flavor. I make some breads that I mix in the evening and put in the fridge overnight to be finished the next day, or even two days later.

If your kitchen is on the cool side you can use this little trick. Take a mug of water and boil it in the microwave oven. When it's done, put the mug in the corner of the microwave and put the bowl of dough in with it. Don't open the door for 45-60 minutes. This creates the ideal "proof box" which is warm and moist. Your dough will rise in 45-60 minutes so you're ready to shape it. Once you shape and pan your loaves, do the same thing all over with the microwave while your oven is pre-heating. Be sure to cover the dough and loaves with plastic wrap or a tea towel so the tops don't dry out.

I hope this helps. Good luck and post a picture when you bake next.

#9 · (Edited)
thanks for the info. although i am not sure about the french fold and pinching
Here is a video from Peter Reinhart showing the French fold technique. It's real simple. Ignore the wetness of the dough he is using, and just watch how he does the fold. It's simple and maintains a lot of air in the dough so it rises well and provides nice air holes in the finished bread. Pinching the dough is just that. Pinch the dough together on the seam so it does not separate, and always put the seam side down in the pan so your bread has a smooth top.

I have Reinhart's book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, that is still my go-to reference after five years of doing this. I just Googled it and found it at Wal-Mart for $19.97. That's a steal, as I paid $32 for mine when I bought it. If you really want to learn about bread, this is the book you need to own.

#10 ·
The key to a nice rise is Instant yeast and room temperature ingredients. Follow the recipe on my website and you should get a good rise with your dough.

http://flyfishohio.us/Party Rye Bread.htm

Also, keep your dough covered with plastic wrap or a tea towel. Draft is the enemy of bread dough. I also stopped using tap water, because the water company puts lots of chlorine in our water, and chlorine kills yeast. I use water from our Brita filter.
Yes !
Filtered water!
Who woulda ever thunk it ?
Sometimes we overlook the obvious....
right at the tip of our nose.

#14 ·
Do you always bake your 'thins' on paper?
Yes I do. My sheet pans are not non-stick, so the paper allows for me to dust the parchment paper with cornmeal and have virtually no cleanup. My pans would look very old if I had to use cooking spray to keep the dough from sticking to the pans. I get 3-4 batches of thins and or bread from a sheet of parchment paper before tossing it, so it's quite cost effective. Same as they do in many small bakeries.

#15 ·
Even though this is an old thread, I thought this was the best place this update to the above bread recipe. Hope this helps others who might be in the same situation as me.

At 63 my body doesn't shed calories as quickly as when I was younger (whose does??LOL), so after my recent visit to the doctor I was informed that I need to shed 30#. Why? Because was 45 pounds overweight and I'm pre-diabetic. Blood sugar was 146 and my blood pressure was iffy even with Lisinopril. The weight loss is supposed to help correct both of those issues.

So, under the guidance of the nutritionist & diabetes counselor in the office, I've been given a program of 1500-1700 calories per day to achieve this goal. Today is day 13, and I've already lost 14# by eating 6 times per day. I can eat anything I want, as long as it's "healthy" foods. Being a bread guy, I consider bread to be a "healthy" food the way I make it, but I also know that the carb's will kill a diet in a heartbeat. So for lunch every day I have a turkey sandwich on a 145-150 calorie sandwich thin (depending on the bread formula), with lettuce, tomato, mustard & zero calorie dill pickles. Very satisfying and only 255 of the 400 calorie lunch allocation. But I wanted to get out a few more calories from the sandwich and still enjoy the flavor of the bread.

Soooooo, I experimented yesterday and made a half recipe of my rye bread, and instead of portioning out 2.3 oz. of dough per thin, I made them 1.75 oz....about a 25% reduction.This would also bring the calories down from 151 to 113 calories (about 64 calories per ounce of dough), and it also gave me 16 thins instead of 12 thins for the batch. But I wasn't sure how they would hold up being rolled to the customary 4" diameter, and I had to watch the bake time because they could get overdone easily. As it turned out, 12 minutes at 390F was perfect. Even better, when cooled I was able to slice them in half, and they have excellent structure to them. I just made a sandwich for lunch, and it all held together just fine from the first bite to the last. Now to figure how to eat up those extra 38 calories that are left over....

Here is what the original looks like, followed by the thinner size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.