S/42 G Luger, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sportour, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sportour

sportour New Member

Back in 1952 I bought this Luger from a buddy's dad who'd brought it back from WWII European campaign. It's toggle is stamped S/42 and there's a G stamp on the receiver. I believe that indicates it was a Mauser manufacture and made in 1935. I believe the unique feature of this P-08 is that it comes with two matching clips. All parts are matched numbers although I replaced the extractor but still have the original. Bore is pristine and external wear is at least 80% with some expected holster wear on the sideplate and rails. The trigger still shows a touch of straw coloration. I used to shoot it a lot when I was a kid and got pretty good popping jackrabbits out in the deserts near L.A. I've taken it to my local indoor range a couple of times and a couple of regulars consider it sacreligious that I shoot it but I always thought that's what guns are for. Anyway, anyone have an idea of value? I need to update my homeowners insurance and the last value I put on it many years ago was $750. I suspect now it's worth more by quite a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. sportour

sportour New Member

By the way, I wanted to add that I ran across this forum by accident yesterday and feel like a kid in a candy store. Great job guys. It's going to take a long long time to go through all the threads that are of interest to me.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

My G date (1935) Luger also has two matching mags plus a 1935 holster and loading tool, all in 99% condition. It's value is around $5000. Your rig, even without the tool, would go for around $2500, because you implied that the original extractor is broken. If the extractor was still intact the value would be closer to $3000. Breakling numbered parts on a matching Luger can be pretty expensive, so that's a good reason not to shoot them. If you like shooting Lugers there are plenty of unmatched junkers around.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi sportour.....welcome to TFF! :)

Well, Luger prices can vary quite a bit....

Here's what the Blue Book says:

Mauser S/42 G Date:

98% - $2,575
    95% - $2,100
    90% - $1,650
    80% - $1,250
    70% - $1,100

The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms says:

S/42 G Date:

Exc. - $2,300
    V.G. - $1,500
    Good - $1,000

The two matching magazines would add to the value, but I don't know how much.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

While reference books can give a ball park value for many firearms, when it comes to Lugers they are useless. It's like looking up the value of a gold bullion coin. It just can't be done. Luger values are rising so rapidly that only an expert can come up with a value. Here's what COMMON Lugers are going for today:

Non-matching shooter: $600 to $700
    Matching with non-matching magazine: $1000 to $1400
    Matching with matching magazine: $1500 to $2000
    Matching with two matching magazines: $3000 to $5000

Unusual varieties will up these prices significantly.
  6. sportour

sportour New Member

Your rig, even without the tool, would go for around $2500, because you implied that the original extractor is broken. If the extractor was still intact the value would be closer to $3000.

Wonderwhippet, the original extractor has a tiny chip in one corner. I removed it to prevent any further damage. To my eye I would not consider it as broken. Thanks for the input. This gives me a good idea what to place on it for insurance value.