1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S/42 G Luger, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sportour, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sportour

sportour New Member

Back in 1952 I bought this Luger from a buddy's dad who'd brought it back from WWII European campaign. It's toggle is stamped S/42 and there's a G stamp on the receiver. I believe that indicates it was a Mauser manufacture and made in 1935. I believe the unique feature of this P-08 is that it comes with two matching clips. All parts are matched numbers although I replaced the extractor but still have the original. Bore is pristine and external wear is at least 80% with some expected holster wear on the sideplate and rails. The trigger still shows a touch of straw coloration. I used to shoot it a lot when I was a kid and got pretty good popping jackrabbits out in the deserts near L.A. I've taken it to my local indoor range a couple of times and a couple of regulars consider it sacreligious that I shoot it but I always thought that's what guns are for. Anyway, anyone have an idea of value? I need to update my homeowners insurance and the last value I put on it many years ago was $750. I suspect now it's worth more by quite a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. sportour

sportour New Member

By the way, I wanted to add that I ran across this forum by accident yesterday and feel like a kid in a candy store. Great job guys. It's going to take a long long time to go through all the threads that are of interest to me.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

My G date (1935) Luger also has two matching mags plus a 1935 holster and loading tool, all in 99% condition. It's value is around $5000. Your rig, even without the tool, would go for around $2500, because you implied that the original extractor is broken. If the extractor was still intact the value would be closer to $3000. Breakling numbered parts on a matching Luger can be pretty expensive, so that's a good reason not to shoot them. If you like shooting Lugers there are plenty of unmatched junkers around.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi sportour.....welcome to TFF! :)

Well, Luger prices can vary quite a bit....

Here's what the Blue Book says:

Mauser S/42 G Date:

98% - $2,575
    95% - $2,100
    90% - $1,650
    80% - $1,250
    70% - $1,100

The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms says:

S/42 G Date:

Exc. - $2,300
    V.G. - $1,500
    Good - $1,000

The two matching magazines would add to the value, but I don't know how much.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

While reference books can give a ball park value for many firearms, when it comes to Lugers they are useless. It's like looking up the value of a gold bullion coin. It just can't be done. Luger values are rising so rapidly that only an expert can come up with a value. Here's what COMMON Lugers are going for today:

Non-matching shooter: $600 to $700
    Matching with non-matching magazine: $1000 to $1400
    Matching with matching magazine: $1500 to $2000
    Matching with two matching magazines: $3000 to $5000

Unusual varieties will up these prices significantly.
  6. sportour

sportour New Member

Your rig, even without the tool, would go for around $2500, because you implied that the original extractor is broken. If the extractor was still intact the value would be closer to $3000.

Wonderwhippet, the original extractor has a tiny chip in one corner. I removed it to prevent any further damage. To my eye I would not consider it as broken. Thanks for the input. This gives me a good idea what to place on it for insurance value.