?'s about .38 Spl. ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tony Mig, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'm getting a Rossi snub nose in .38Spl. and I'd like to know what a good load would be for this revolver.

I've got a few boxes of older remington round nose lead ball to use on the range, and hollow points are pretty much a no-no in Nu Joisey, so what are my options for a good defensive round for this type of weapon.......?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Tony, the most used load consists of a 125 bullet (golden sabers or Federal hyda shocks) behind a +p load. I have made up loads using the 148gr wadcutter turned backward, yep, thats right, wadcutter base pointing out. Devistating to say the least, but gonna cause problems in court with the DA. Corbon also makes some great loads. I would ask that you find out from Rossi how this weapon would hold up to +p loads!
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The Rossi snubby should stand up to the +p loads, if you don't shoot them for practice. My understanding is that the Rossi 38spl and the Rossi .357 (which we have) are built with the same metalurgy and basic parts.

Pops
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Man, I don't know about +P loads in a Rossi snubby, I once owned one and it kicked like a loco mule on the end of your arm.

My accuracy was poor because of the abusive recoil, don't recomend it. The regular .38 special loads will be bad enough.

As a defensive weapon you might get by shooting point blank range, but don't expect any 25 yard accuracy.

Just my own experience, maybe someone else will have better results.

GG
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If you can't use hollowpoints, go for the heaviest flatnose bullet you can find.

+Ps should be OK for occasional shooting, but probably not as a steady diet.

Shoot target/light loads for practice. Shoot a few heavy +Ps to establish a point of aim.....and carry the +Ps for defensive purposes.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

This is an older model M68, and it comes with a warning not to use +P's in it, so I'm pretty much stuck using standard .38 Spl's.

Considering that a gun like this will hopefully never be used in a self defensive operation, and that I'll be carrying it with the backing of the Second Admendment, and not with any specific permission from the state of New Jersey. Should I ever have to us it to defend my life, I'll still be in a world of legal crap, so I don't want to give any of these bleeding heart liberal DA's anymore angles to use against me concerning the ammo I load in it. Beyond the proven fact that hollow point ammo is the safest to use in the home or for personal defense, this cockeyed state considers it excessive, and unneccessary force.
    My best bet would probably be to just use a cartridge with a round nose lead bullet, or a jacketed soft point load. Either one placed to the upper torso or head of an assailant should solve the situation to my favor.
  7. cvixx

cvixx New Member

another tack

Instead of going for the fastest round out there, to keep the DA happy if you ever do end up firing in anger, I would suggest the standard full wadcutter target load. First of all it is easy to control and ammo is cheap enough for you to practice a lot. Second, that bullet punches a 36 caliber hole through whatever you are shooting at. Nothing fancy but it is effective. Seen several people shot with this round and it works. Doesn't slip through a body as most pointed rounds will and doesn't expend most of its energy downrange past the target.
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Welcome to the forum cvixx, and thank you for the insightful words about the .38 special.

A lot of people today think the .38 special is a putz of a cartridge, how wrong can they be...the police have relied on it for about 1/2 a century in this nation not to mention the military. It has accounted for a goodly number of people who expired from its effects.

I keep one loaded around the house all the time for a home defense weapon even though there are bigger guns in my batterey. It is loaded with Hornady hollow-base wadcutter bullets mounted backwards in the brass. I've seen what this handload will do going through three 2X4s and through a 50 gal drum full of debris. Little hole going in...big hole coming out.

Gunguy
  9. cvixx

cvixx New Member

Thank you, thank you...spent most of my life in law enforcement and even though we transitioned to 9mm in the 80s (retired in 94) I still preferred a 38. Just easier for me to shoot and never felt I needed more than 6 rounds and 2 speedyloaders.
  10. MarkBall

MarkBall New Member

Agree with ya. You will have less trouble by having a "Target" load in a weapon, than if you have a Jacketed bullet. Maybe not much, but you could then claim "I intended to wound, not kill him". And you could then feel happy that you did your part by trying to limit the overpenetration & keep other bystanders safe. Used to have my .357 Mag loaded with "birdshot first 2 rounds, then 2 125 grain HP's, followed by 2 180 grain FMJ's (to stop the vehicle).

Read about that combo in a Guns & Ammo mag in the late 70's. Seems the intent was to not kill initially, just to get the criminal to back off. If he continued on, then the lethal force can be justified. If they are trying to escape, 2 rounds in the engine block will hold them til police arrive.

And that was written by a prosecuting attorney on the west coast. Don't know how accurate it is anymore. And I don't load this anymore. It's well known in our neighborhood that I have weapons.

Mark
  11. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I got a sales flier from Dick's Sporting Goods today, and they have the Remington/UMC .38 Spl in FMJ on sale for $9.89 a box of 50. That's the same type of load I keep in the Beretta 96. It's considered a target load, but I would assume that FMJ bullet could deal a pretty deadly blow to the human body.....
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I keep those UMC loads in my model 60. They have always been very satisfactory and I have been comfortable with them.

MarkBall, how much of that +P crap is a CYA statement? SoMo's had the warning, too, as does Charter on their web site. However, most we've talked to seem to think that if its for personal protection and not target shooting, they will be just fine.

Check it out.
  13. MarkBall

MarkBall New Member

Marlin,

Like I said, I don't load this anymore. Currently I have for home defense 12 ga pump with 6 shot. Non-magnum loads. I figure if they come inside, they are mine. And I limit the "over penetration" with the 6 shot & light loads.

As far as the .357, I run 158 grain JHP's. All 6 rounds.

The 180's were silhouette rounds I developed with a friend years ago. Seems he was using a .357 Maximum in a TC Contender, I want'ed to play. Don't remember exact load anymore, haven't loaded it for a lot of years. Move, college, wife, kids - you get the idea.

Mark
  14. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

With a small snubbie like yours, I don't recommend that you go any higher than a 125GR standard load. Higher grain weights will cause to much flip for a gun like that, and that could hinder your shooting performance when multiple shots are required.

Try Speer, or Winchester loads. They've never let me down. Glasers are great for home defense, but I haven't tried them in years.