S&W 19-2 Engraved by 'Weems'

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

inplanotx
    (1/28/02 3:37:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Engraved S&W Model 19-2 Worth?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought a S&W 19-2 at an estate sale. The weapon is highly engraved with the name
    Billie Weems on it. Even the stocks were engraved to match the weapon. I have pictures
    I can send to show the whole weapon. The engravers guild did not list the named person.
    I can send the pictures to those interested. Either leave your email address or send me
    and email at "richard.spragg@st.com" Thanks for the help.
    Serial number is K6224XX made in mid to late 60's.

Edited by: inplanotx at: 1/28/02 3:42:47 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/28/02 4:42:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Engraved S&W Model 19-2 Worth?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AntiqueDr would be the one on this one, if he has not answered you already...in private. Guess your another Texican???? WELCOME ANYWAY..... LTS

AntiqueDr
    (1/28/02 11:22:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Engraved S&W Model 19-2 Worth?
    I have seen this revolver somewhere, I think. The name is pretty prominently displayed, so I think that was the person who commissioned the piece and not the engraver (if this is the same gun). The name "Weems" rings a bell...

Anyway, whenever you put a name on a gun it really limits the market. Not many people want to buy a gun with someone else's name, kind of like wearing boots with someone else's initials on them.

Therefore, it brings the question of intrinsic value vs market value. A heavily engraved Model 19 might be "worth" $1500, but if it doesnt sell how much is it really worth?

My advice is to either keep it for your own enjoyment, or have another engraver look into the possibility of modifying the pattern to eradicate the name.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

inplanotx
    (1/29/02 8:52:41 am)
    Thanks Doc,
    However, I apologize because I didn't make this clear. Along the right side top strap it says engraved by Billie Weems. It is the engravers name and not the gun owners name. Would you like me to send the pictures and you can see it? Many thanks for the help. The engraved name is very small and you cannot readily see it, then again I'm almost blind when it comes to small print. This is a great forum.

Edited by: inplanotx at: 1/29/02 8:54:45 am

Xracer
    (1/29/02 10:17:22 am)
    Welcome inplanotx (even if you are from Texas )

Stick around.....lots of fine folks and bunches of good info here.

AntiqueDr
    (1/29/02 10:39:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Please do send the pictures. For some reason, I'm stuck that I've seen this gun before somewhere...

AntiqueDr@ApaxEnterprises.com

www.apaxenterprises.com

Zigzag2
    (1/29/02 1:09:12 pm)
    Howdy inplanotx and welcome to the Firearms Forum.
    Ya' gotta' give Ol AntiqueDr a little credit, cuz he's as sharp as a razor, and can you imagine He's from TX. too

β€œI ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” β€œTo disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” --George Mason

BlackGun
    (1/29/02 2:09:13 pm)
    From one of many Texans to another Welcome inplanotx!

Send me a picture of this Mod 19 and I'll post it for all to see. above_the_law53@hotmail.com
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

inplanotx
    (1/29/02 2:43:36 pm)
    Many thanks for all the welcomes. I am really enjoying this group and the wealth oif information here is just astounding. I sent copies of the pictures to the good Doctor this morning and by looking at the info in this group, I just wish I knew what he's forgotten. Thanks for the warm welcome and I just sent BlackGun a few phot's. Hopefully he can pick one that's appropriate and post it here. Many thanks guys and gals!
    Semper Fi!

BlackGun
    (1/29/02 3:04:54 pm)
    I received your pictures, be back in a flash for everyone to get an eye full of this beauty! Du Rah!

Ya'll give me a few minutes EZ board is acting up on me, I'll get these pictures post in a short short!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 1/29/02 4:30:39 pm

AntiqueDr
    (1/29/02 5:29:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It appears to be a very nice engraving job, but there are a couple of drawbacks.

First, non-factory engraving does not hold resale value as well as factory engraving unless the engraving is done by a recognized engraver like Shostle, etc. Second, it is unfortunate that Weems decided to put his (her?) name in such a prominent location on the gun. Usually, initials or a monogram hidden under the grips is appropriate. Perhaps Weems used this gun as advertising, who knows?

I would hope the revolver would market around $750 - $1100, but recognize that is going to be a very tough sell.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

inplanotx
    (1/29/02 5:48:06 pm)
    Many thanks AntiqueDr. I really appreciate the help. Also, many thanks to all on this response.