1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W 1917 DA 45, 1937 Brazil contract.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by fleetwood1976, Jan 22, 2010.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

This is the smith I got at the new years day auction. It is 100% functionally sound. the Grips I picked up on line for $10. Not for everyone but better than pacmahr's. They are handmade with a florida Sheriffs badge on on side and his initials on the other. the wood and finish are awesome. All the full and half moon clips came with it. Fun revolver. I am looking for a 9mm revolver too. I like shooting autos threw a revolver. Some of you collectors may confirm. I think this is original finish but the overall refined smith polish and finish is not on these brazil contract guns, they seem to even be a little less cared for when built than the victory 38's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. fleetwood1976

more pics

Attached Files:

3. fleetwood1976

more pics

Attached Files:

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't believe that is the original finish. In the pic where you can see the crest on the R/H side, you can also see bunches of dings and pits. They've all got blue in them. That's a pretty good indicator of a reblue.
  5. fleetwood1976

actually, that is residue from me oiling it down. My buddies think I go a little crazy laying the oil on when storing. There are areas that just don't look very well polished before bluing. the cylinder and extractor rod are a purplish blue and the rest is more of a blackish blue. It is like the frame metal is substandard or not as nicely finished. Regardless, I have $310 in the gun and clips and $10 in the grips. So I feel I can enjoy it as a shooter and not lose much value. I figured it was the cheapest way to have the 45 DA experiance.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The purple color is the tipoff to a reblue job. The original finish was a uniform blue, though not up to S&W's best at the time, probably because of customer request or contract cost limitations. Those guns were made from U.S. Model 1917's that S&W bought back from the U.S. Army to fill the Brazilian contract. Most parts still have the U.S. eagle head, although they did remove the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking from from the bottom of the barrel.

The original stocks are non-Magna diamond type, checkered, with S&W silver medallions. A lot of the stocks were damaged, which is why purchasers installed after-market stocks.

Jim
  7. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Hey I think that is a nice looking piece and for 310 you didnt get hurt at all in mho! Looks like a nice shooter and no I dont think you can use too much care specially when storing a weapon. Have fun and be safe!
  8. fleetwood1976

I have actually seen a few other brazil models with a differnt shade purplish cylinder. This has an older import mark under ejector on the bottom of barrel. I wonder if there was a whole batch of them refinished at once. I have seen differing shades of blue when different types of metal are being blued. For example, if the cylinder is a lighter alloy, or stronger than the barrel. This example has all matching numbers. so it is how smith made it.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Some of those were sold in pretty bad shape. They had not been fired a lot, but I understand they were used by cadets at the Brazilian Naval Academy and apparently got pretty beat up. I don't believe they were refinished by the importer, like many of the Argentine Colts were, but I am sure quite a few purchasers had them reblued to look good.

The red/purple cylinders are the result of tank bluing hardened steel of a certain alloy. I have been told it is due to not getting the bluing bath to the right temperature. I know I always controlled the temperature and never had that problem, but I might have been lucky.

I have a .38/44 Heavy Duty that has been reblued (not by me) and has the same color cylinder.

Jim
  10. fleetwood1976

Jim, I am leaning toward the cadets using it as a basketball theory. I would think if I had it reblued, I would loose most of the markings to get to a uniform polished surface. I am going to keep it like it is as a shooter. I feel if I ever wanted a nicer one I could sell this one and upgrade.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think that at some point those guns will be recognized as an important S&W foreign contract variation, like the Canadian and Russian guns, and will increase in value. They are already selling for a lot more than the $50 they cost when imported. Obviously, refinishing will reduce the value, not enhance it.

Jim