1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W 22 pistol recall

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by henry0reilly, Jun 23, 2009.

1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Smith & Wesson Recalls M22-A Pistols

Smith & Wesson announced a recall of Model 22-A pistols, with serial numbers UBW0000 – UBW9999; UBY0000 – UBY4104. Smith & Wesson “has identified a condition that may exist in certain model 22-A pistols. … We have determined that the slides of certain pistols manufactured from August 1, 2008 to February 19, 2009, may not meet the design specification. This can create a situation where insufficient headspace exists, creating a risk of unintended discharge.” If you have one of the problem 22-A units: STOP USING YOUR PISTOL AND RETURN IT TO SMITH & WESSON AT ONCE.

NOTE. This recall applies only to 22-A pistols manufactured from August 1, 2008 to February 19, 2009. Affected pistols fall within the following serial number range: UBW0000 – UBW9999; UBY0000 – UBY4104.

Free Return Shipping Offered
    To receive a UPS pre-paid shipping label for your pistol CLICK HERE or contact Smith & Wesson directly at 1-800-331-0852.
  2. big steve

big steve New Member

Thanks for the heads up
  3. Joe M

Joe M Member

I just saw this recall notice. Thanks for posting it. Looks like I'll be sending mine in.
  4. williamd

williamd New Member

Scared me at first. I have a S&W Model 22-4 revolver in 45ACP. No slide problems here! :)
  5. Bobismoi

Bobismoi New Member

That notice is so sad ... I have a few 2nd generation (no cock indicator) 7" 41s and they have been awesome. A decent shooter and a 41 will not get beaten even by the Hammerlies and other exotics costing thousands. At our shooting club, my 41s have impressed so many to go and buy one for themselves, but they ALL insisted on getting a new one rather then searching for a good clean earlier model that has Springfield, Mass stamped on the side. I'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable ... I recall offering to lend a fellow shooter my long barrel ... just for him to try out and we couldn't get it to mount on his new one that had come with the 5" barrel. Didn't want to force it so reassembled mine and I let him shoot the whole gun. (Smiles) It is a heartbreak, but every single one of the new ones they bought has failed in one way or another and had to be sent back. Most have been sent back a few times. The dealer at the range has been embarrassed but stands behind every one with money back or loaning another til theirs returns or whatever it takes. It's just a sad heartbreak. Seems that when they moved the manufacturing from Springfield to Maine, they left the "Legendary Quality" behind. I am just thrilled I already had mine before all that mess at S&W.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive shot a Model 22-A pistol several times (not mine) and I checked the serial number to make sure it didnt fall into the recall, and it didnt.
    I shot it right out of the case (new) with a reflex sight, got it sighted and it was dead on and right off the bat I wanted one!
    After about 50+ rounds, the problems started. FTF about 1 out of 5 shots, also jamming & thought it was the Federal ammo. The last time I shot it, I put some Blazers through it and just about the same problems, just not as often.
    Needless to say, I changed my mind on the pistol.
    What's up with these pistols? Anyone else haveing problems with them? Or maybe it's just this one pistol, which I dont own.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. jimmybaby

jimmybaby New Member

This is for Zane 71464; Somewhere on this forum, tonight, I found a discussion on the same kind of problems but with a Smith 41. The overall solution seemed to be in the ammo. The worst thing one could feed to any decent semi-auto is the cheapest ammo you can find. One of the reasons it's cheap is because the cheapest components (powder, primer compound, etc.) is used and fouling is an immediate result. The differences in rim thickness is another element to consider. Go look for some premium quality ammo, by the box,not bulk, try several different makes and you'll learn to enjoy your piece better. Standard velocity ammo is normally unjacketed and therefore will cause a quicker dirty bore than jacketed. That's the norm. Clean the piece, try the new ammo, and have fun. JimB
  8. Hank in WV

Hank in WV New Member

Not looking for a fight but just offering one more personal experience. My 22-A does just fine with Federal bulk ammo.
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Same here Hank in WV. I don't recall any feeding failures with the Federal bulk packs out of my S&W 22A. I am not telling you I haven't, I just can't remember any feeding issues with the Federal bulk ammo.

Welcome to the forum Hank. Where in WV are you parked. I am in Jackson Co. between Ravenswood and Ripley.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

My 422 likes anything I feed it, though I have not tried every brand because I don't have access to all the brands. Winchester, Federal, CCI, even Remington that doesn't work in anything else. I got a great .22 when I found this one used. :D
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you there jimmy.

I found the problem with the one I have shot..

I found out yesterday that the Federal Bulk Pack (550rds.) was a bad BATCH!
    The guy had the federal ammo for some time and brought it out each and every time. Got a new box of it, and the S&W acted like it should have, right on with the Fereral ammo. What kind of got me was, that I shot a bit of the same ammo through my single six, and really cant recall any problems.
    The CCI's, I cant explain? I used my cci ammo before and when we shot it yesterday through the smith/after shooting the good Federal's, the cci's wasnt a problem either...:confused: Ive pondered that every since, and cant make sence of it.:confused:
    EDIT: And the CCI's was mine...it was/is good ammo.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  12. bluzjamer

bluzjamer New Member

Just bought one of these the other day, will have to check the serial # when I pick it up.
    Now where can I get some target grips for this gun without paying $75 at S & W..
    Just has to be an aftermarket wood grip for this.
  13. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

When new you need to keep them oiled well while they the rails mate. Mine will shoot anythin now that's it had a couple thousand rds through it.
  14. JERRYB

JERRYB New Member

Very nice reply. Quite informative too.
  15. preacher60

preacher60 New Member

yes Zane i bought a 22-A model UCD6645 took it out of the box started shooting and it was not very long the jamming began i just got tired of taring the thing down. I'm fixing to send it back hoping that smith will fix it so i can enjoy shooting the gun. I love to shoot my 22's i have 4 semi's one bolt action and two pistols. I take the grand children out to the range and we have a blast. But nothing is fun about a gun that just don't work.