S&W 22A-1 or Ruger MKIII target pistol?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by albert915, Sep 12, 2006.

1. albert915

albert915 New Member

Hi, i am new here and i am planning to get into some target practice with a new .22 pistol. I pretty much narrowed it down to two guns that i really want. its either the S&W 22A-1 or the Ruger MKIII target pistol, 5.5 inchs with bull barrel. I found a two tone S&W 22A for $250 and a Ruger MKIII for $265. I shot a MKII before and it was fun and realiable but no experience with the S&W. I read a lot of good reviews about the ruger and mixed reviews about the S&W, but i just want to ask before i make my final decision. I love the way the S&W 22a feels and look, perfer that more than the ruger but many said the 22A has problem with FTF and FTE, anyone expereince that? So bottom line is, which gun do you guys think is a better gun and which will serve me better? thank you all.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I've put over a 1000 rnds thru my 22A and never had a FTF.
    It is not even ammo fussy.
    You ought to shop that price for the 22A I got mine new from Acadmey Sports for $195
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Albert
    They are both great guns it really comes down to what fits you
  4. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Hi, I have a bull barrel Ruger MKII target that is really accurate and has
    never had an FTF. I would take it over a S&W any day. However I am a bit
    predjudiced against Smith and Wessons. I have owned 3 different pistols
    they made and was disappointed with all of them. I will probably never
    buy a Smith again.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Ruger is the most up-gradeable 22 pistol on the market. Everything is avaiable for it. I think it is probably the most often selected as a starter match gun for entry into shooting sports. There is a reason for that.

As for the 22 series S&W, I had one and had problems keeping the barrel tight on the frame. In fact it broke and S&W repaired it for free. I have since loctited it on and no more prorblems. I bought the Smith for its looks alone and it shot OK. I have many Smith revolvers and the quality is absolutely excellent and the accuracy superb (most will out shoot any pistols I have). I do not currently have any of their semi autos (my daughter confiscated the Smith 22 gun) and probably will not as other designs seem better and less troublesome but I'd buy another 22 series gun for the looks alone!

Buy what you want, not what others want for you. This will not be your last gun and you can and will buy other 22's when you have much more knowledge about what works for you. You can not go wrong with either, in my judgement, but the Ruger is the better choice if looks are not considered, and it is shooting sports that you are pursuing.

LDBennett
  6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I personally don't have any experience with the Smith 22A, so I can't say anything pro OR con about it. I like Smiths in general though.

Most of my experience with the Ruger is fixing them for people who disassemble or reassemble them incorrectly. If this is your first time owning a firearm or pistol, this might be something to think about. The Ruger disassembly and reassembly is a little more complicated than many types, and I've known people who've broken pins trying to put them back together incorrectly.

My personal 22 pistol is a Browning Buckmark. The look is a lot like the Smith, so that may be another option.

Whatever you get, good luck and have fun with it.
  7. albert915

albert915 New Member

first off, i would like to thank you all for taking your time to reply to my post, i really appericate it. I still cant make my decision yet, i think i have to find a range with both guns to rent and shoot it off to see which i like better. I heard so much good things about the ruger that i am just tempted to get the ruger, but i just cant get over the good looking S&W 22a too. only if i have the money to buy both guns..haha.. i will look more into both gun at some gun shops and i will keep you all updated on what i got. i am planning to buy either one sometime this week. but thanks once again for all your help and opinion.

Albert
  8. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I recently bought the S&W 22A-1 and am totally satisfied with it. It's smooth, gobbles up bulk ammo, all around fun to shoot. I don't own a ruger .22 so can't comment. Based on other Rugers I own and the company's reputation, I'm sure it's a good gun too. But I can and do highly recommend the 22A.
    [​IMG]
  9. SKYDIVER386

SKYDIVER386 New Member

I have to go with pkcgbifaid on this. I have owned 5 of the Ruger .22 pistols over the years, several of the SIG and S&W pistols and 3 Browning Buckmarks. I prefer the Buckmark over any other .22 in this price range. Easier to manipulate the controls, better grip shape, better mags (easier to load), and a much better trigger than the Ruger.

On the other hand, if you really want a great .22 pistol, the S&W M-41 is the king.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

skydiver386:

Want to do a little test of your Buckmark? Compare it side by side, the Buckmark to a Browning Challenger, the models that say made in Belgium. The difference is remarkable. While both are basically the same design the Challenger is a beautiful, precision made, excellently fit, superb working handgun, with a blue job a mile deep. The Buckmark looks like junk next to one!

I had a Buckmark. I liked until I happened on a Challenger. Bought the Challenger, inspected it and sold the Buckmark. What a difference for basically the same design. The guns from the 1950's rule! Give me a Challenger or a Colt Match Target or a Hi Std Trophy or a vintage S&W Model 41 any day. Beautiful guns, all of them, and they shoot well too!

LDBennett
  11. SKYDIVER386

SKYDIVER386 New Member

Agreed, every time I see one of those old guns at a show I'm really tempted to buy it. Every time I want one though I just keep telling myself that I cant shoot a pistol well enough to appriciate it anyway.:D :D :D

The new S&W 41's are still very nice pistols. I'm waiting till they make one in stainless with the 7" barrel and muzzle brake first before I buy one. :)
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Skydiver, what LD Said! My rimfire pistols are all a bunch of Hamden, Ct, trash, and all with gold triggers, but, have owned a couple, and shot a few more, Brownings, and Colts. He speaks the truth!
    As to the 'shooting' part, git yerself out there and do some; no better place to learn!
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  13. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a HS Dura_Matic that will shoot with the best of the Rugers:eek: :p :D