S&W 22A, Heavy Trigger Pull

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by trapnbow, Jul 7, 2012.

1. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,
    A friend just purchased a new 22A and asked me to assist her with the first firing. Nice looking pistol but it has a very heavy trigger pull. I am a Hi-Standard guy and have no experience with this pistol. Instruction manual offered no adjustment information for weigfht of pull.

The questions are;
    1. Is therre a trigger pull adjustment?
    2. Has anyone had the same experience and solved the problem?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I purchased a model 22A earlier this year, and the trigger is smooth, and I would say it was average weight. It's not light, but it is not a heavy pull either. To my knowledge it is not adjustable. If this was a new purchase than I think I would contact S&W, and see what they can do. Perhaps there is a part that did not get polished or machine properly.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

A couple of the Old Guys have S&W 22A's and I have shot both of them. I wouldn't call their triggers "heavy" at all. They do have some creep and were a little gritty to begin with but that has improved. I would put them in the same category as the Buckmarks, Rugers and Berettas that show up with the other Old Guys. None of those would I call heavy. But I don't expect any of them would compare favorably to the trigger on your Hi Standard but neither does their price tag.
  4. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Rocketman1 and todd51,
    Thank you both for your very prompt reply. The information is appreciated. I think that I will quantify the weight of the trigger pull and then consult S&W as you suggested. I did slip off the grips but could not find the usually obvious adjustment.
    Todd51, you are so correct about the Hi-Standard trigger. My wife now uses my Supermatic and loves it because it is so easy to fire well. I'm one of the ole guys, LOL, bought the pistol in the 1960's to compete in the bullseye matches. Great triggers.
    Thanks,
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I do not think you will find any adjustment for pull weight on a 22A. I do not remember if any have an over-travel adjustment.

I am guessing that pull weight is about 4 lbs. plus or minus about 0.5 lbs.

If you are use to a HS (with a 2 to 3 lb,) trigger the 22A will seem very heavy. For a newer shooter who has yet to obtain a reasonable mastery of trigger control, a little heavy is better than the 2 lbs. minimum.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Any trigger pull (almost) can be made better. The heavy pull can be from an excessively strong trigger return spring, a excessively strong sear spring, or even an excessively strong hammer(or striker) spring. Sometimes removal of most of the creep reduces the distance of the trigger movement, giving an impression of a lighter pull. Any good gunsmith can reduce the creep, remove the grittiness by polishing the sear/hammer engagement surface with stones, and reduce all the spring forces. The best gunsmith to use is one who knows your gun but a well educated and experience gunsmith ought to be able to give you an excellent trigger job at a cost (typically in the neighborhood of about $50 to $100). For a good job it is well worth it.

Today lawyers rule the roost at gun manufacturers. All trigger must be absolutely safe even in the hands of a numnuts shooter. Triggers on most guns today are total compromises between absolutely safe and shootable. After sales trigger jobs are necessary on most unless they are a new target gun like the S&W Model 41 or a new Hi Std or any of the true target guns like the Benelli MP90s/95E. S&W probably will not be able to help you if it falls inside their specs which it more than likely does if you can actually get the gun to shoot by pulling the trigger very hard. A good gunsmith trigger job may be the only answer.

LDBennett
  7. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

The trigger will smooth out after you put a few hundred rds through the pistol. I have owned one for several years and it shoots as well as the Rugers I have owned. It will never equal the HS or the Model 42 but it is worth its price. I understand the newer ones are better made than the originals. Mine in an older one and I had to return it to the factory when the barrel assembly retaining hook broke. It was repaired and returned to me without charge and has worked quite well since then. Take a brush to the range with you to remove powder residue from the breach and bolt face area if you experience FTF after a hundred rds or so. The residue will block the ctg rim from mating with the breach and the bolt will be unable to return to battery. Brush the gunk off all all will be fine for another box or so.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Frogtop:

The broken "barrel assembly retaining hook" is only an assembly aid and does nothing once the gun is assembled. It originally was cast as part of the rib. The latest version I have seen are a steel plate riveted to the aluminum rib using a stud type rivet cast as part of the rib. What happens is the barrel retaining stud loosens in the barrel allowing the recoil to work on the hook eventually breaking off the hook. Mine did it twice and S&W replaced the rib once. I gave up the second time and concentrated on making sure the barrel stud, that is engaged by the locking button in the frame, stayed tight (red locktite). I never fixed the second failure as it does noting in the shooting of the gun. S&W did send me a new rib but unfortunately it was the wrong length for my barrel.

LDBennett
  9. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

There is a translucent plastic piece that hooks behind the recoil spring. This piece gets a lot of abuse from recoil. Can it be replaced with any similar plastic cut to the same dimensions? I'm thinking a detergent bottle or similar item.
  10. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,
    Thank you all for your timely posts regarding the heavy trigger pull. The information and advice is greatly appreciated. We will proceed to run a few hundred round through it to learn how it loosens up. Even a quality target pistol works in. After that break-in, we might think of a trigger job.
    I have also thought that the plinker type target pistols are now being manufactured with the steel plate or bowling pin shooter in mind. A genuine bullseye shooter would have to purchase a better firearm. Example, when was the last time you saw a Camp Perry pistol match shoot or a gallery match shoot on TV!? LOL
    Thanks again,