S&W .32 Long kit gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jmace57, Jul 4, 2012.

1. jmace57

jmace57 Member

I just bought this S&W kitgun at an online auction. The serial number is 255488xx

I bought this based on the pictures I am sending. Loooking at the grips, it would appear to be an older model. Any idea of the value or date of manufacture? Thanks. (I am wanting to check and see if I can use my C&R license) Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Serial number would help date it.
  3. jmace57

jmace57 Member

At this point, all I have is the partial shown in the original message. Thanks
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I believe that only .22's are called "Kitguns". The one shown is a .32 Hand Ejector of some ilk. (Need the serial to determine which "ilk")
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it has a eight digit serial number, it doesn't exist:D, if the serial number is fact is six digits and 255488, then it is a ,32 hand ejector, pre model 30/31, 1910-1914, 5Th change. The Kit gun is a .22 in a .32 frame, First made as a " Custom" gun in 1811 { Bekeart Model } , later introduced in 1915 as the 22/32. The complete history of the 22/32 is rather long and complex and is more than I wish to type:)
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Look at the acorn on the end of the ejector rod. That gun is pre-WW2. Don't know when, exactly, but pre-WW2.

Last time I looked, WW2 was 70 years ago. Should be C&R.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Deadin is right - Kit guns are 22, and have adjustable sights.

Also, that appears to have been refinished. First I thought it was just crappy pix, but based on the reflections off the grips, if the gun was shiny it would be reflecting too. Which means the gun is flat. Smith didn't make flat guns back then. They were all shiny.
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

No, it's not a 32 Kit Gun. S&W made a J-frame 4-inch 32 Magnum revolver with adjustable sights in the 1980's or 1990's that they may have called a 32 Kit Gun, but I only ever saw them in stainless steel. (They may have made a .357 Magnum version at some point too.) That just an I-frame 32 Hand Ejector of some vintage. I hope you didn't pay extra because they called it a kit gun.

The finish may be original. I once had a very nice 32 Hand Ejector, and its finish was very black compared to a Colt of the same vintage. Just my $.02, though.

PS - I don't mean to denigrate your gun, jmace57. Any S&W is a good gun, and 32 Long is a very pleasant cartridge to shoot. BTW, you will find that most modern J-frame grips will fit your gun.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  9. jmace57

jmace57 Member

thanks for the input gents. Kitgun or not, refinished or not, I m happy with the purchase - I have been wanting another .32 long pistol. Didn't pay too much for it. If I can get some better pictures later, I will attach them later. Thanks again for your expertise.

Edit: Indeed looks exactly like .32 Hand Ejector model of 1903 to me.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Do you have a source of ammunition for this pistol? The only .32 ammo I see these days are old and collectble, and sell for outlandish prices. I have one of these pistols in original nickel finish, tight action and mint bore. I would like to shoot it, but I can't find any affordable ammo for it.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

12. jmace57

jmace57 Member

I received this gun today and am very pleased Indeed it has been refinished, but in very nice shape. Serial number is as shown above, but without the extra XX. Action is nery nice.
  13. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

These old Smiths were very well made guns. Put a good pair of grips on it and you ought to find it very pleasant to shoot!
  14. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

OK, nice to know I can get reasonably priced ammo. Will put my little .32 to good use!