1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W .32 rf & .44 Russian

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Simon, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon New Member

Hi all,

I have recently bought 3 S&W revolvers (they are considered obsolete calibre here in England so they are OK to own).

I'm sure I have ID'ed the models correctly but wonder if the serial number will confirm this:

S&W Number 1 1/2 .32 rimfire serial No 9969 (could be 6696), has S&W markings on top of barrel and what looks like 7Y stamped on some parts. Blue finish.

S&W Number 2 .32 rimfire serial number 19338 and S&W markings top of barrel and around the cyclinder and what looks like TL stamped on some parts. Blue finish.

S&W Number 3 DA .44 S&W Russian serial number 14785, serial number stamped on frame, barrel and cyclinder. S&W markings on top of barrel. Nickel finish.

Any help appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Simon
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Serial numbers ranged from 1 to 26,300 for this pistol. Made circa 1865-1868.

Serial number range is 1 - 77,155 and made circa 1861 - 1874.

This one is going to take more information. Is the 44 Russian a rimfire or centerfire? Barrel length and shape? All patent dates on the revolver? Pictures would be a real plus. Also, the serial number was usually printed in pencil under the right hand grip. Please also tell us the grip types. Let us know.

By the way, welcome to TFF. Nice to have you with us.
  3. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks for that info.

S&W No3 DA: 100% it is .44 S&W Russian center fire, I managed to find 1 inert rd, to check this.

Barrel length is exactly 6 inches.

The grips I have for this are not the originals as a different number is scratched on them, can't find any pencil marks. Grips are Black Bakerlite ? guta percha ? with S&W monogram on them.

Markings on barrel are 2 lines begining with a stylised cross then top line:
    SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A. PAT'D JAN . 17 & 24. 65
    Bottom line:
    JULY 11 65 AUG 24 69 JULY 25 71 DEC 2 79 MAY 11 & 25 1880

It has a round barrel with a half moon foresight on the flat top to the barrel.

I'll have a go at putting a picture up.

Thanks.
    Simon
  4. Simon

Simon New Member

Hope you can see this

[​IMG]
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Simon, thanks for the pic. It is going to take a little bit of reading to find out exactly which one this is. I think we can safely say that it was manufactured after 1880 as this is the last patent date. However, there are so many variations it is incredible. Hang in there and I will get back to you on it.
  6. Simon

Simon New Member

Much appreciated.

Simon
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to have you at TFF, Simon.

Hope you will stay and post often. We always love an adition to the family.

Attached Files:

8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, think I have it. The "Number 3" was what was throwing me. The book says .44 Double Action First Model (New Model Navy No. 3 Revolver).

ID
    Large frame double action, .44 caliber, either 1 & 7/16" cylinder with any serial number, or 1 & 9/16" cylinder with serial number above 15,340.

Serial number range is 1 - 54,668 with 53,590 manufactured circa 1881 - 1913.

NOTE:
    Although cataloged into the 20th century, all frames were manufactured prior to 1899, making this gun an antique.

Hope this helps.
  9. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks again.

oops got the model wrong.

Cyclinder is 1 7/16th long.

I'm about to order 2 books, Smith & Wesson Six Guns of the West and Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson I hope these will be full of good info.

I used to own and shoot a fair number of handguns & semi auto rifles but they are banned now...but the criminals did not hand theirs in...no surprise there then.

Simon
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Good luck Simon. I used the later book to get my information. I found it and another by Roy Jinks to be the best.

If you know anyone who can reload black powder, the 44 Russian case is simple to make by cutting down 44 Special cases.

I really empathize with you on your gun laws. We have to be constantly on our toes over here to keep the gun grabbers at bay. So far we seem to keep one small step ahead of them. Stay well and keep in touch! Cheers!
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Simon! Neat revolvers!
  12. Simon

Simon New Member

Thanks.

Hand guns are, apart from some exceptions banned here in England, but I can own an obsolete calibre handgun without a permit as long as it's an original antique. But if I had 1 rd of live ammo I would need a permit and if loaded with black powder an explosives permit too ? I hope to get some pyrodex, cases, primers and heads, that is legal without a permit as long as I don't assemble the rds...which would need a permit.... :(

Of course criminals use MAC 10's etc and don't bother with permits, guess the Goverment didn't figure the criminals would be such criminals and not hand their guns in.... :rolleyes:

Simon
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  13. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Wish you'd come and tell that to all the anti-gunners over here. They seem to think that banning guns will solve all our problems. [​IMG]
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Just like our folks over here -

A CLOSED MIND.

What a waste. :( :mad: :( :mad:
  15. Simon

Simon New Member

Well here in England although handguns and semi auto rifles are banned and ALL legally held guns of that type were handed in...armed crime has risen and continues as does the use of handguns in crime !!!

Is reblueing the S&W's considered heresy ? or should I leave them as they are ?

Simon