S & W 38 caliber

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by floridawildcat, Sep 20, 2010.

1. floridawildcat

floridawildcat New Member

Can someone tell me any history and value on the gun in which I have attached the picture? It was recently stolen from my property in another state.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like an S&W .38 M&P (Model 10 after 1958). It may be nickel plated or stainless steel (in which case it would be a Model 64). It looks to be in good condition, so retail value would be in the range of $300, but many factors could change that figure, up or down.

Jim
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sorry for your lose, it is a horrible thing with people aren't honest.

the gun appears to have a brushed satin finish. it would have been refinished i expect. thats a 4 screw model if im not mistaken.
  4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

It looks like a 5 screw pre model 10 or M&P, like john says it looks to be refinished with a brushed or satin nickel or maybe a home brew parkarizing kit. the value would be $250 to $300 to replace. you could tack on a little for insurance value.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the gun is not a 64 (and by the look of that front sight, it's too old to be), then it has certainly been refinished, as nickel Smiths have color-casehardened hammers and triggers. A nickeled hammer and trigger is always the sign of a refinish.
  6. vytoland

vytoland New Member

looks like an early production S&W model 64, half moon front sight and pinned barrel
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

It looks to be a M&P to me too home brew park also. The MP and Victory series did not have parkerizing inside the frame or on the yoke face. Also the cylinder faces did not have parkerizing either.
  8. floridawildcat

floridawildcat New Member

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.