S & W .38 special

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yetiman, May 13, 2012.

1. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Has 21744 on the cylinder arm and 24126 serial number. Looking for approx value on this gun. Probably 70% . Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You have a Military & Police revolver. It may possibly be a very early Model 10, if it was made after S&W started using model numbers.

Most of these revolvers were shipped with 4" barrels. Yours looks like either 5" or 6", which is less often encountered but not rare. From the photos furnished, it appears to be in good condition, retaining more bluing (if not re-blued) than most "good condition" guns, but I think that I see evidence of some rust, which will knock it out of NRA "Very Good" condition as far as a collector will be concerned.

The serial number will be visible on the bottom of the frame butt. You may be able to find its year of manufacture on line. The model number, if it has one, will be a "10" or "10-X" on the forestrap; visible when you open the cylinder.

As to actual street value, go to several Internet gun auction sites, and see what is actually being bid for comparable revolvers.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Something is wrong. SN 24126 was made in 1903. The end of that ejector rod is wrong for a gun that old.

Either, you have a non-Smith and Wesson, or you have a Frankengun (where parts from several guns were used to make one) or you have quoted an incorrect serial number.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I missed the first part of yetiman's thread.

I think that he has listed an assembly number for the serial number found stamped at the bottom of the frame sandwiched between the grips.
  5. yetiman

yetiman New Member

That serial # is on butt and frame but we couldn't find it in any catalog.....probably a "franken" as is definitely a Smith and Wesson Frame and Barrel. Thanks guys!
  6. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Nice pistol.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun looks like it has been reblued, which reduces the value considerably.

Jim
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Any letters on the bottom of the grip in addition to the serial? (Probably at the other end of the bottom from the number.)
  9. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I don't have it in my possession anymore, my father-in-law bought 5 guns from a guy and was trying to date it. He only gave $75 for it and it sure shoots nice
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

If it shoots well, it would be cheap at twice that price.