S&W .38 spl.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tom Reynolds, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

I'm trying to find out what I have ? It has a one & seven eights in. pinned barrel with 9818 E? on the bottom. On the frame with the cylinder open the letter M 43948 & on the yoke its self 43948. On the butt 9818 & on the cylinder above the extractor 9818. On the frame under the right grip the letters M H. It is a five srew with a flat cylinder latch,round butt, walnut diamond grips. Mechanical is near new with 90% of its blue, NO rust. If one of you guys can tell me when it was made & what it is worth I sure would appreciate it. ONE more thing, the ampersand ( & ) in S&W is differant. Thanks ahead Tom Reynolds
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hi Tom Reynolds and welcome to the firearms forum.

Is it a 5 or 6 shot?

Is there any chance you could post a picture?

Sounds interesting!

:p
  3. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

It's a 5 shot.
    I can't do a picture right now, but possible later.
    It looks like the original Chief Model 36.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Hello Tom, welcome to TFF.

These are only "book" prices, and sometimes do not reflect todays actual values, plus or minus.

(IF) it is a 36 chief then;
    100% $325
    98% $290
    95% $225
    90% $200
    Add 25% if below serial # 2,500 (small trigger guard and grips)

Unless it is an airweight (alloy frame) they can be worth more.

Hope this helps
  5. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

.38 S&W

I may have miss lead, NO where on the gun is there the word chief or the number 36. It is not the air weight or any other light weight metal. It just looks like the 36 chief. Sorry for the miss understanding
    Tom Reynolds
  6. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Tom, I picked-up on the "no numbered" gun in your original post.

I've not been able to cross reference the numbers you gave, so I have to assume that it's an early S&W. I'll do some more looking for you.

Zig
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I don't recognize the numbers, but it sounds like a Chief.
  8. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

Thanks zigzag2: Its no big deal, it just got to bugging me. The only thing I've found close with the same barrel lenght was only in a .32 cal. , & the numbers realy loose me. I guess its good I'm not a collector. Tom Reynolds
  9. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

10. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Hi Tom,
    The #9818 is the serial number since it is on the grip frame.The #43948 is an assembly number to keep those parts together during finishing (blueing or plating).
    Now as to what model it is,is it 38 Special or 38 S & W?I'll have to dig out my book on S & W's to find out more (sorry).
    Robert.
  11. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

It is a .38 special. I sure appreciate all you guys help, slowly getting there. Tom Reynolds
  12. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

I'm pretty sure this is an original Chiefs Special.
    Excerpted from "The History of S&W" by Roy Jinks 1977(paraphrased)
    The first Chiefs Special was completed on Oct 24, 1950 on the new J frame at serial number one.A square butt version was introduced on Oct 14,1952 at serial #21342.In 1957 it was renamed the Model 36 and the serial numbers began at 125,000.

So it looks to me like you have a Chiefs Special built either in 1950 or 1951!

I hope this is correct but I'm no S & W expert (I own some but I prefer Colts!) so don't take this as gospel,Robert.
  13. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

I thank you all for your help. Sorry to be so slow in responding, it seems my computer stay's down about as much as it stay's up. Till the next time ! Thanks Tom