S&W .40 Sigma trigger mod

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 1shot1k, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool:

Having purchased a new VE Sigma .40 at christmas, I studied some
    history of this Glock knock off afterwards. I have been shown a simple tip to improve trigger pull ( reduction ).

I though I would ask opinions concerning this...and any other views of this weapon.

( It was all I could afford for a carry gun, taking CCH this month , I
    know there are better weapons , but did observe mostly favorable shoots on web. I have yet to shoot this gun ....)

:cool:
  2. XD Fan

XD Fan New Member

That was the first and only .40 I have owned to date. I sold mine due to the trigger. Otherwise, it's the only gun I ever had that NEVER malfunctioned in the year and a half I had it. I would consider another if those trigger mods work for you.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sigmas are good guns. IF YOU CAN GET USED TO THE 3 MILLION POUND TRIGGER. I have owned 2, one in 9mm and one in .40, they both shot very well, and functioned flawlwssly with everything from cheapy plinker loads to full power +p loads. i would certainly consider another if the price were right. Post the details on the trigger tips, im very curious...
  4. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool:

Basic to do is : keep eye on Parts

1. have good set of Punches - easy to punch

2. At rear of gun , push pin out.

3. Pull up on Hammer assembly, maneuver
    carefully up and out.

4. Remove springs as listed below.

5. Remove rear TAIL spring.

6. Remove OUTER spring , leave smaller INNER
    spring . Make sure end of INNER spring fits
    good on small round circle of Hammer assbly.

This does not affect Hammer strike strength...
    and I was told that the two springs being removed were added AFTER Glock sued S&W
    and won the case ( copying Glock on Receiver )

Attached Files:

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i'll be damned, i didnt think there was a way to improve the trigger pull on those things. Have you tried it yet?
  6. crazy charlie

crazy charlie New Member

There has been a lot on this subject on the S&W forum.
    You state you haven't fired it yet. Fire it and if you don't like it, then if you find it unsatisfactory look for some improvements.
    The trigger has always been controversial on this model. There are so many fixes(?) on the S&W forum I can't count them all.
    If you want to alter the trigger be prepared to affect reliability as well as your lifetime warranty.
    If you decide to sell it make sure you state you have monkeyed with the trigger to avoid a lawsuit in the event there is a catastrophic failure.
    Now, I have a Sigma 40VE. The trigger is not as plesant as a target pistol. In fact I have sent it to S&W for a trigger problem (failure to release after firing and for binding).
    It is an accurate pistol and the more you fire it you will get used to the trigger or you won't. I've had double action triggers that were worse.
    If you want to get educated(?) enlightened(?) on the Sigma trigger go on the S&W forum and be prepared for an endless list of fixes(?) from removing springs, to polishing, to altering parts.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good point charlie, both the sigmas i had were unusually accurate for a 4' with a thousand pound trigger pull, perhaps you have a valid suggestion worth consideration to all sigma owners out there. Thanks for talking some sense into me... But those 2 ton triggers still suck...
  8. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd New Member

I too purchased a new .40 Sigma in a rush after Obama won the election. I did not do any research, just thought S&W would be great and four magazines and only $329.00 at Academy, what a deal. The guy, Robert, at Academy did not want to let me dry fire, mumbling about video cameras and so on. There were many people waiting so I made the purchase in haste and soon regretted it, until NOW.:mad:

After shooting it, I was all over the place,:( I couldn't have gotten that stale since retiring from the Navy, having qualified Expert with both the 1911 and the M9, could I. I bought a Bersa .380 and punched ragged holes center target with it and a C9, so it must be the gun. I read about it on several forums and then called LSG, here in Texas and Mr. Smith helping me ship it free of charge under warranty. It only took a little over seven days and I got it back, much better, but still not as smooth or crisp as my other guns, he did reduce it from 12# down to 9#, but still a little gritty. . . more reading.

As the gent above mentioned, I dissassembled then polished all moving, contact parts with a dremel and fine jeweler's rouge, lubed with oil and reassembled, better:eek:, but still disappointing. I subsequently purchased a Stoeger Cougar 8000 .40 from Academy and the nice man let me dry fire it, WOW, nice and smooth.:)

Later I removed the pig-tail spring only shown in the picture above and cleaned and lubed this time with constant velocity hi-temp moly grease, wiping off the excess. The grease sticks much better to the plastic friction surfaces than oil. Now, Off to the range, WOW, shoots better than a friends G-23 now, he can't believe it either, over 100 rounds and no issues, but smooth clean, light (5-6) pound trigger pulls. Back in the black:), even my 13 yr old grandson likes it best now. I may even consider purchasing a 9mm and doing the trigger job myself, for my wifes personal bedstand defense!!:D

update, I substituted a ball point pen spring, that I cut down to fit, to replace the larger outer spring. I had tried the single small spring, but the trigger would not reset after a couple of rounds. It now shoot great, with about 5# pull. my groups are soooo much better. I put another 100 rounds through it today, mostly at the 7 and 10 yard lines. 2-3" groups at 7 yds, 3-4" groups at 10 yards all rapid fire, weaver stance. I really am starting to warm up to this pistol after all... But I bought a Bersa Thunder Pro 9 at the gun show this weekend and shot 100 rounds through it today, WOW!!! Shoots better than my Cougar .40 and that's saying something!!
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  9. jlucas45

jlucas45 New Member

I actually bought a Sigma 40VE and first thing did the trigger mod by removing the pigtail and the outer sear reset springs, and adding back a pen spring just for support and a little sear reset support. The trigger is set at about 6-7 lbs. with a clean break with moderate trigger travel...a bit less than a revolver. First time out, I found the feed from the magazine almost silky, with no forward slide feeling the cartridge feed at all...It took a few shots to get used to the trigger, which was quicker than I expected, but after that almost all of my shots were in the black at 15 yards, getting tighter as I got used to the trigger. Sights are very good to excellent. This is going to be my primary CCW...significantly lighter than my Sig Pro, and shoots almost as good. I really appreciate the photos and the instructions here, which were the deciding factor to purchase this pistol from budsgunshop.com. This is one of those things that really came out good...price, easy enhancement, reliable, accurate, light weight, and natural hand fit.
  10. t3kk71

t3kk71 New Member

i did this mod to my sigma 40 and w0w big difference . i may start carryin it instead of my pk 380 walther or p90 ruger. awsome mod werks great did it and put 200 rounds thru it . no stovepipes or jams yet .
  11. Tony78224

Tony78224 New Member

I work at a shooting range in Texas I asked several gunsmith about the trigger mod and all said the same thing not to mess with it lol. I know a lot of us have done the trigger mod but not many post how they function after words. I have a 40 s&w i decided not to listen to the gunsmith and since no one work on the sigmas I replaced the striker spring with a wolf 3 1/2lb, I removed the tail spring, and left the other two springs as they were i have shot about 500 rounds and it works great. I would like to find a replacement spring instead of just removing it. If any of u have tried it with one spring please e-mail me let me know how it works one of my friends said his trigger was not reseting with only one spring. antonio.dehoyo@yahoo.com please let me know and if you know where to buy a repalcement spring (lighter spring for the outter let me know) thanx
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

One spring? do it all the time. with the wolff reduced power striker spring and a sear face mod, the trigger resets every time and never have run into a light strike. The trigger reset is dependent on the trigger spring, not the double sear spring.
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Helix_FR You are right I have replaced spring with the wolff kit and have not had any problems.I have done this on 4 or 5 of them. How do you alter the sear face? I just polish it up but do not mod. it(change the angle?)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

angle so the striker and sear match perfectly then stone a very slight 45 degree angle on the striker so it breaks clean. Not doing that will make it feel like mush.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks Helix;)