The Firearms Forum banner

S&W .40 Sigma trigger mod

69K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Rocketman1 
#1 ·
:cool::cool:

Having purchased a new VE Sigma .40 at christmas, I studied some
history of this Glock knock off afterwards. I have been shown a simple tip to improve trigger pull ( reduction ).

I though I would ask opinions concerning this...and any other views of this weapon.

( It was all I could afford for a carry gun, taking CCH this month , I
know there are better weapons , but did observe mostly favorable shoots on web. I have yet to shoot this gun ....)

:cool:

#27 ·
Rocketman, after checking, a couple more things to say...

1- In post # 24....per pic I show where to polish hammer areas on
TOP of pistol, that long flat arm that comes from trigger to hammer
assembly....you just polish INNER of that flat arm, as "some" folks
experienced some rub or grit there....in fact...if you look close at the
pic, right between arm and frame where one of my green lines goes...
you see the little black plastic frame runner that actually can rub this
arm...

"Some" even showed filing or removing enough of that plastic area so
that nothing can rub....if yours is tight, then do that..otherwise just
polish arm (inside / next to frame) very bright. I also grease a drop
right at that point each cleaning.

And, this "arm" is what you carefully move from pivot point of hammer when you have used a punch (at top rear of pistol) to remove the only pin
you need to remove sear/hammer assembly....but...the end of arm that
connects to trigger stays intact, so handle gently, when removing and
if polishing etc...

2- I would not ask for any to do anything that they feel uncomfortable
about. I am an EE and Microwave and Digital Engineer by trade, but with
much time in a machine shop. I am not a gunsmith, just a smith per my
own weapons if desired. I looked and studied much before I did anything to
my Sigma, I did not by any means do all I saw being done by others,and
have in fact passed on some things I have determined myself to do, that
I have not seen elsewhere.

I have simply passed on the simplest means I know for any that may benefit, keeping safety and reliability foremost. And as I said, 700 to 1000
rounds will almost do as much to trigger feel as anything I have suggested or done....except...

If you do nothing at all, except clean it...get a set of punches so you can
take the one top rear pin out, remove sear molding and hammer springs, and do grease and lube the sear cam or lobe where I showed. If not...
eventually yours will indeed have plastic scoring as in pic I showed from metal to plastic wear.

regards,

yellerdawg

#28 ·
Thanks so much for all the additional info Yellerdoawg. Nice pictures and illustrations.
I understand everyting now, and I may just trythis soon. I think I may start by just removing the small pig tail spring and doing some light polishing, and see how much it improves. Looks like I can always add the spring(s) back in, if something dosen't work right.

Thanks!
Darrell

#29 · (Edited)
Newbie here. I recently bought the sigma .40 cal and loved the gun for it's price point, rugged nature, and reliability but loathed the trigger. It seemed like the gun had too much potential to be ruined by the heavy gritty trigger. I polished out the parts as mentioned earlier, used anti seize grease from permatex, removed the pigtail (that thing is like mosquitos, they serve zero purpose) and I swapped out the spring for an aftermarket that I purchased. I have over 1000 rounds of the cheapest crap ammo I could purchase, steel casings and brass, with zero failures. If I get a misfire with it the next time I fire it i will still consider this a very high reliability rate. What bothered me the most was not that the trigger was a little rough or heavy, it was my accuracy.... plain and simple. Consistently low and left unless I was trying to compensate then it was just consistently inconsistent. After doing all thee mods I learned something interesting..... the grouping to the left was very much a result of the trigger pull issues (that was not a surprise) but the reason that they are LOW and to the left is nothing to do with the trigger. the low issue is the fault of the lousy front site. Has anybody noticed how tall the front site is?? It is rediculous!! While searching for a solution to this I came across another forum where somebody discovered that you can purchase a HiViz fiber optic site for a Glock and after doing a little filing on the site you can replace the OEM one. Night and day difference!! I am not shooting low anymore. I would highly recommend this to anybody that is frustrated with the "low and left" issue. Also, many people are not even aware that the rear site IS adjustable for windage. You can use the plastick handle of a big screw driver to gently tap the site sideways in the slide but make sure you the "left" is not human induced. You wouldn't want to try and compensate for your twitching by adjusting the windage. You would really be inconsistent if you did.

Attachments

#30 ·
Newbie here. I recently bought the sigma .40 cal and loved the gun for it's price point, rugged nature, and reliability but loathed the trigger. ...... I swapped out the spring for an aftermarket that I purchased. ....... Consistently low and left unless I was trying to compensate then it was just consistently inconsistent. ..... the low issue is the fault of the lousy front site. Has anybody noticed how tall the front site is?? It is rediculous!! While searching for a solution to this I came across another forum where somebody discovered that you can purchase a HiViz fiber optic site for a Glock and after doing a little filing on the site you can replace the OEM one. Night and day difference!!
Welcome to the forum zvagias.
Glad you took the time to join and share your experience with your Sigma. Stick around you will like it here.

I would very much appreciate info on the after market spring you purchased, and a web site link and further instruction on the front sight replacement.

I was aware that the rear sight was adjustable, but I didn't want to mess with it, until I found out if its me or the gun. The Sigma is the first pistol I owned. I just recently got a .22 pistol, and I'm much better with it. I got the .22 for something cheaper to shoot and I thought it might help me shoot the Sigma better. It did just the opposite. After shooting the .22 the trigger pull on the Sigma is unbearable. I usually shoot at 25 yards and my shots are all low and left, and very often in the dirt on the low target that I shoot at.

#31 ·
thanks for the welcome! I got the spring from ebay from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-to-r...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=007&category=73944&cmd=ViewItem and there is another guy on ebay that sells them but this one said it ws designed by a gunsmith and was made for the sigma. The other guy probably sells the same spring but I guess I liked that this guy mentioned gunsmith and "designed for the sigma". The hiviz sight I got from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI6BR4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 and basically, the old front sight comes off by grabbing it with a pair of pliers and twist it off or you can salvage it (like I did) by using a pocket knife or small flat head screw driver and prying the glue off from the underside of the slide. Actually, it's not glue, the site is pushed in and then the melt the underside of it and thats what holds it in place. Then Sigma and the Glock both have an oval hole cut in the slide for the front sight, the only problem is that the Glock's oval is larger so you have to file down the oval "foot" on the bottom of the new sight to fit into the Sigma slide. There is a very nice detailed write up with pics on another forum but I don't know the rules about posting links to other forums websites on this forum. It is usually frowned upon and I don't want to wear out my welcome on my second post here but I will PM you the link. If you have a Dremel and have a steady hand it is really quick and easy but even if you just have a file it would still be simple.

#32 ·
Thanks for all the detail, and for the info cent in the PM Izagias, it's greatly appreciated.
I think I certainly have enough information to do the mods now, but I'm still a little reluctant to jump right in. The Sigma is primarily my home defense weapon, and as is, (trigger pull and all) it will do just fine. One day soon I will try some of the mods, probably strating with just polishing, and then go from there.

Thanks Again!

#33 ·
I uderstand your point but I would strongly urge you to at least polish out the trigger parts with some 800 wet sand paper until the imperfections are gone then step up to 1000 grit and then polish with mothers or something like that and definitetly remove the pigtail spring. This will make the gun much better, is very easy to do, and is almost impossible to mess up anything. Mine is mainly for home defense too but I beleive that the more accurate you are with your firearm the better off you are going to be in a real life or death situation. Anything i can do to improve my ability to put a bullet where I need it is added security. If somebody is in my house I am going to grab the biggest highest capicity gun I have and I want to be able to point and shoot quickly without worrying about aiming at his chest and then grazing his arm because my trigger is crappy. But that is just my opinion and I am not a combat expert nor do I hope that I ever find myself in that position.

#34 ·
I have the 40VE, it came with the long hard trigger pull. After reading all the forums on the trigger mods I decided to just shoot it. I have a little over 300 rounds through it and the trigger breaks at a hair over 5 lbs now. I did have the low shooting problem, did the Hi Viz sight mod about a year ago after I went to put it in the nightstand and noticed the front sight was GONE... S&W said I needed to send the slide in, the front sight had to be "electronically welded" on. I said "You mean melted, right? Never mind, I'll just put a Glock sight on it." For some reason there was total silence on the line just before I said goodbye and disconnected.

I did switch from the VE as my primary CCW pistol, have some carpal tunnel problems with the right hand so went to a Ruger P95 due to the DA/SA capability and the ability to pull the trigger a second time in case of a hard primer.

#35 · (Edited)
Haha! They probably were still trying to figure out why a Glock sight fit your slide. I like that you called them on "electronically welded". That's funny. I used to have a p89 I think or maybe it was a p90. It was a long time ago and I didn't have it very long. I bought used from a buddy then had to sell it because I needed the cash about 6 months later. I really liked that gun but damn it was big! There was no concealing that bad boy, not on me anyway. I liked the capacity it had, 16+1 or 17+1 or something like that. I was actually looking for another used when I found the SW40 and went with it but I may end up buying another one still.

#36 ·
15+1 for us folks that live outside of California. I had a heck of a time finding one, I guess Ruger had some special going on and pretty near sold out of them, finally located one by luck at one of the LGS around here for the same price that Bud's wanted for one. I CC it in an IWB at 3:00, but I'm 6'4" and 230. I'm actually considering selling the 40VE to fund a venture into a black powder rifle so I can take advantage of the muzzleloader deer season here, there's a conservation area close by but no centerfire deer season only archery and black powder.

#38 ·
I removed the torsion (pigtail) spring and put a dab of lithium grease between the sear cam and the plastic housing. Worked the trigger to spread the grease and I'm satisfied. The trigger's hard enough for safety and now smoother pulling.

1000 rounds and no problem with my Sigma 9mm. :)

#39 · (Edited)
Hi All. Great reading about S&W Sigma trigger mods. I've read all kinds of posts, and most of them will help reduce trigger pull. With that being said, I would only recommend doing a trigger mod yourself if you plan on keeping the gun forever. Modifying the trigger yourself voids the warranty, and opens you to civil liability if you sell the gun and someone gets hurt.

I just got off the phone with S&W, and they told me the pull is factory set at 12 lbs, but can be reduced to a minimum of 8.5 lbs (legal safety requirements). If you send your Sigma back to S&W, they will reduce the pull to 8.5 lbs at no cost to you, other than shipping. I STRONGLY recommend you let S&W take care of this fix for you.

#40 ·
Hi All. Great reading about S&W Sigma trigger mods. I've read all kinds of posts, and most of them will help reduce trigger pull. With that being said, I would only recommend doing a trigger mod yourself if you plan on keeping the gun forever. Modifying the trigger yourself voids the warranty, and opens you to civil liability if you sell the gun and someone gets hurt.

I just got off the phone with S&W, and they told me the pull is factory set at 12 lbs, but can be reduced to a minimum of 8.5 lbs (legal safety requirements). If you send your Sigma back to S&W, they will reduce the pull to 8.5 lbs at no cost to you, other than shipping. I STRONGLY recommend you let S&W take care of this fix for you.
Oh... glad I saw your post. I didn't think S&W was doing the free trigger mods anymore. Looks like I will have to give them a call. Do you have a contact number?

#41 ·
Don't ask them about a "trigger mod" or they will get all huffy with you and won't do a thing for you.However, if you complain that the trigger pull is gritty and 'catches' as you pull the trigger, they'll have you send it in and when it comes back to you it will be all slicked up.

One note, the newest ones have the pins "peened" in the sear assembly to make it very difficult to take it apart and clean up, probably a liability CYA by S&W.

For those low shooters, here is a shot of my 40VE with the Glock HiViz sight installed. Raises your POI about 2" at 25 yards.

#50 ·
Don't ask them about a "trigger mod" or they will get all huffy with you and won't do a thing for you../QUOTE]
I emailed S&W asking if installing the trigger kit voids the warranty. It does. BUT, the tech said if the gun ever needed to be sent back in, he would suggest re-installing the original parts. (wink*wink) that way the warranty is still in effect

#42 ·
Don't ask them about a "trigger mod" or they will get all huffy with you and won't do a thing for you.However, if you complain that the trigger pull is gritty and 'catches' as you pull the trigger, they'll have you send it in and when it comes back to you it will be all slicked up.

One note, the newest ones have the pins "peened" in the sear assembly to make it very difficult to take it apart and clean up, probably a liability CYA by S&W.

For those low shooters, here is a shot of my 40VE with the Glock HiViz sight installed. Raises your POI about 2" at 25 yards.

[/IMG]
Thanks for the additional info mogunner.
I have a low shooter, but it has nothing to do with the sights, it's the hard trigger.

#43 ·
I have two Sigmas, and have done the trigger mod on both of them, I would consider them to one of the best point and shoot guns for the mony on the market. They will shoot anything that I throw at them, and do it with consistancy.

Reactions: Danwin22
#46 ·
I found this trigger kit for the Sigma at Apex Tactical and was wondering if anyone here has tried it.
They have a video on how to install the kit which looks straight forward. I would think for $20 bucks you can't go wrong, and could always revert back to the original springs if need be.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid66.html

#47 ·
I found this trigger kit for the Sigma at Apex Tactical and was wondering if anyone here has tried it.
They have a video on how to install the kit which looks straight forward. I would think for $20 bucks you can't go wrong, and could always revert back to the original springs if need be.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid66.html

QUOTE]

The above video is for the SD Sigma, this one is for the SIGMA:

#49 ·
I just installed the kit in my Sigma VE9 tonight, so hopefully I will be able to get to the range this weekend to test it out. I notice a significant difference when dry firing. It took me a couple of hours to get everything done. I had a little trouble getting the stricker block spring out, but other than that work on the slide was for the most part easy. The trigger return spring was easy to take apart, but putting everything back together was a real bare. It took me 1-1/2 hours. I think the main problem was my eyes, and the lack of good light. Not an easy task when you where bifocals. If you have good young eyes it shold be easy.

#52 ·
I emailed S&W asking if installing the trigger kit voids the warranty. It does. BUT, the tech said if the gun ever needed to be sent back in, he would suggest re-installing the original parts. (wink*wink) that way the warranty is still in effect
That's pretty cool, actually coming from the tech. Tells me they know a lot of people are going to do what it takes to modify that trigger. I figure that os exacly what I would do, put in the original springs.

#53 · (Edited)
Update on Apex spring kit and Apex Enhanced Trigger Kit

I recommend installing both the Apex Spring Kit and the Apex Enhanced Trigger Kit. At first I only installed the spring kit. While the spring kit worked as advertised, and reduced the trigger pull a great deal, perhaps by half, I was not completely satisfied with the results. Perhaps my shots improved somewhat, but that long trigger pull still made me anticipate when the trigger was going to break.

I feel the Apex enhanced trigger was well worth the money. Apex advertises that it reduces the pre-travel by 20% and the over travel by 10%. I think that it reduced the pre-travel a great more than what they advertise, perhaps by as much as half, but it could also be because the trigger is more comfortable. The enhanced trigger also reduced the trigger pull weight by at least another 10% more in addition to what the spring kit did.

The safety on the Apex enhanced trigger is like that of a Glock. On the stock trigger the entire tip or bottom half of the trigger was hinged, so I never could understand how the safety actually did anything to prevent a miss fire if snagged on clothing or something similar. Therefore I think the enhanced trigger is somewhat safer, but the only real safety is between the ears.

The only hard part about installing the spring kit and the trigger was getting everything back together. I had trouble getting everything lined up, especially getting the trigger return spring through the slave pin. It didn't go any easier the second time when I installed the enhanced trigger.

Everything tested out fine when dry firing, so it was off to the range to try it out. First shot was fine, but when I tried the second shot the trigger was dead. The trigger was not capturing the sear. (See picture below of properly captured sear.) With the slide off the frame, the trigger would return and capture the sear, but with the slide installed on the frame, it would not. The trigger did not have enough return to capture the sear when actually firing.

The one thing good I can say about my Sigma is that it is very reliable. I have never had one failure of any kind, and I want to make sure it stays that way.

I ended up using a fine emery board, to file a very small amount of material off the front part of the trigger where it makes contact with the frame. (See second picture) I did not have to remove very much at all, probably no more than 1 or 2 hundredths of an inch. I was able to do this with the slide off, but without removing the trigger from the frame. With everything testing out fine, it was back to the range.

After sending about 50 consecutive rounds of lead down range, the trigger stopped resetting again. I think it probably had something to do with the gun getting hot. I field stripped it and took a little bit more material off the front of the trigger. It didn't take long for me to send 100 more rounds down range, with everything working just fine.

The trigger made a world of difference. Nice crisp break, and much smoother than before. My accuracy defiantly improved, but not as much as I would like. Time will tell.

Sewing machine
Auto part Rim
Trigger Revolver Bumper Auto part
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.