1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W .40 Sigma trigger mod

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 1shot1k, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lzvagias

lzvagias New Member

thanks for the welcome! I got the spring from ebay from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-to-r...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=007&category=73944&cmd=ViewItem and there is another guy on ebay that sells them but this one said it ws designed by a gunsmith and was made for the sigma. The other guy probably sells the same spring but I guess I liked that this guy mentioned gunsmith and "designed for the sigma". The hiviz sight I got from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EI6BR4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 and basically, the old front sight comes off by grabbing it with a pair of pliers and twist it off or you can salvage it (like I did) by using a pocket knife or small flat head screw driver and prying the glue off from the underside of the slide. Actually, it's not glue, the site is pushed in and then the melt the underside of it and thats what holds it in place. Then Sigma and the Glock both have an oval hole cut in the slide for the front sight, the only problem is that the Glock's oval is larger so you have to file down the oval "foot" on the bottom of the new sight to fit into the Sigma slide. There is a very nice detailed write up with pics on another forum but I don't know the rules about posting links to other forums websites on this forum. It is usually frowned upon and I don't want to wear out my welcome on my second post here but I will PM you the link. If you have a Dremel and have a steady hand it is really quick and easy but even if you just have a file it would still be simple.
  2. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the detail, and for the info cent in the PM Izagias, it's greatly appreciated.
    I think I certainly have enough information to do the mods now, but I'm still a little reluctant to jump right in. The Sigma is primarily my home defense weapon, and as is, (trigger pull and all) it will do just fine. One day soon I will try some of the mods, probably strating with just polishing, and then go from there.

Thanks Again!
  3. lzvagias

lzvagias New Member

I uderstand your point but I would strongly urge you to at least polish out the trigger parts with some 800 wet sand paper until the imperfections are gone then step up to 1000 grit and then polish with mothers or something like that and definitetly remove the pigtail spring. This will make the gun much better, is very easy to do, and is almost impossible to mess up anything. Mine is mainly for home defense too but I beleive that the more accurate you are with your firearm the better off you are going to be in a real life or death situation. Anything i can do to improve my ability to put a bullet where I need it is added security. If somebody is in my house I am going to grab the biggest highest capicity gun I have and I want to be able to point and shoot quickly without worrying about aiming at his chest and then grazing his arm because my trigger is crappy. But that is just my opinion and I am not a combat expert nor do I hope that I ever find myself in that position.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I have the 40VE, it came with the long hard trigger pull. After reading all the forums on the trigger mods I decided to just shoot it. I have a little over 300 rounds through it and the trigger breaks at a hair over 5 lbs now. I did have the low shooting problem, did the Hi Viz sight mod about a year ago after I went to put it in the nightstand and noticed the front sight was GONE... S&W said I needed to send the slide in, the front sight had to be "electronically welded" on. I said "You mean melted, right? Never mind, I'll just put a Glock sight on it." For some reason there was total silence on the line just before I said goodbye and disconnected.

I did switch from the VE as my primary CCW pistol, have some carpal tunnel problems with the right hand so went to a Ruger P95 due to the DA/SA capability and the ability to pull the trigger a second time in case of a hard primer.
  5. lzvagias

lzvagias New Member

Haha! They probably were still trying to figure out why a Glock sight fit your slide. I like that you called them on "electronically welded". That's funny. I used to have a p89 I think or maybe it was a p90. It was a long time ago and I didn't have it very long. I bought used from a buddy then had to sell it because I needed the cash about 6 months later. I really liked that gun but damn it was big! There was no concealing that bad boy, not on me anyway. I liked the capacity it had, 16+1 or 17+1 or something like that. I was actually looking for another used when I found the SW40 and went with it but I may end up buying another one still.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  6. mogunner

15+1 for us folks that live outside of California. I had a heck of a time finding one, I guess Ruger had some special going on and pretty near sold out of them, finally located one by luck at one of the LGS around here for the same price that Bud's wanted for one. I CC it in an IWB at 3:00, but I'm 6'4" and 230. I'm actually considering selling the 40VE to fund a venture into a black powder rifle so I can take advantage of the muzzleloader deer season here, there's a conservation area close by but no centerfire deer season only archery and black powder.
  7. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

just did this on my 9mm sigma worked wonders but if you have fat fingers like me have a small clamp and a pair of tweezers handy
  8. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I removed the torsion (pigtail) spring and put a dab of lithium grease between the sear cam and the plastic housing. Worked the trigger to spread the grease and I'm satisfied. The trigger's hard enough for safety and now smoother pulling.

1000 rounds and no problem with my Sigma 9mm. :)
  9. Fox-Firearms

Fox-Firearms New Member

Hi All. Great reading about S&W Sigma trigger mods. I've read all kinds of posts, and most of them will help reduce trigger pull. With that being said, I would only recommend doing a trigger mod yourself if you plan on keeping the gun forever. Modifying the trigger yourself voids the warranty, and opens you to civil liability if you sell the gun and someone gets hurt.

I just got off the phone with S&W, and they told me the pull is factory set at 12 lbs, but can be reduced to a minimum of 8.5 lbs (legal safety requirements). If you send your Sigma back to S&W, they will reduce the pull to 8.5 lbs at no cost to you, other than shipping. I STRONGLY recommend you let S&W take care of this fix for you.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  10. Rocketman1

Oh... glad I saw your post. I didn't think S&W was doing the free trigger mods anymore. Looks like I will have to give them a call. Do you have a contact number?
  11. mogunner

Don't ask them about a "trigger mod" or they will get all huffy with you and won't do a thing for you.However, if you complain that the trigger pull is gritty and 'catches' as you pull the trigger, they'll have you send it in and when it comes back to you it will be all slicked up.

One note, the newest ones have the pins "peened" in the sear assembly to make it very difficult to take it apart and clean up, probably a liability CYA by S&W.

For those low shooters, here is a shot of my 40VE with the Glock HiViz sight installed. Raises your POI about 2" at 25 yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Rocketman1

Thanks for the additional info mogunner.
    I have a low shooter, but it has nothing to do with the sights, it's the hard trigger.
  13. mcw120566

mcw120566 Member

I have two Sigmas, and have done the trigger mod on both of them, I would consider them to one of the best point and shoot guns for the mony on the market. They will shoot anything that I throw at them, and do it with consistancy.
  14. mjsnook

mjsnook New Member

I had an SW40F and I really liked the gun...except I hated the damn trigger. I wish I had found this prior to getting rid of it.
  15. bomar

bomar New Member

Same here.. my Sigma shot flawlessly and dead on! I loved it but my finger didn't. After 7 shots, I was done for the day!