S&W .44 Russian

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by w1spurgeon, Oct 28, 2008.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Does anyone know if ammo is available in this caliber? And if so, where?

Thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It is available, although scare. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...3&categoryId=9272&categoryString=653***691***

The problem is, unless your gun is one of the new Italian reproductions, it is either a Smith and Wesson that is over a hundred years old, or a crappy Spanish or Belgian copy from the teens or twenties. Either way, it was designed to shoot black powder ammo, and modern smokeless ammo could be quite detrimental to it. You might be lucky, and the modern pressures just stretch the iron frame, until it does not fire anymore. You might be unlucky and it goes off in your hand like a grenade. Either of these is not good.

If your gun is a Smith and Wesson, and you want to fire it, I suggest you get some black powder loads. Ten X loads them, although at 37 dollars for 50, they ain't cheap. http://www.tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_3-10-08.pdf 44 Russian BPC

If your gun is one of the Spanish or Belgian copies, I suggest you don't even think about shooting it. That is an accident waiting to happen.
  3. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

The gun is a Smith. Do you think the smokeless "cowboy loads" available now would be safe?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. I have three 44 Russians myself. An Italian Smith copy and an Italian Spencer copy. I run the smokeless loads in both of them. My other one is a Smith 1881 double action. When I shoot it, I use black. I don't want to hurt it.