S&W 500 Madness!!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by interstatepawnllc, Jul 1, 2004.

1. interstatepawnllc

interstatepawnllc New Member

Thought I would share the S&W 500 experience with you today. Gotta tell ya the 440 grain pills pack a whallop! Felt like a .357 on major steroids! I even shot one round offhand. One word of advice, DO NOT shoot this firearm while croutching or kneeling, you will end up on you can! This pistol is plum insane. :cool:
  2. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I still want one. It sounds like a lot of fun to shoot. A big man needs a big gun. I am glad you like yours. :D
  3. Rugster

Rugster New Member

I fired one and I dont plan on doing it again without my padded shooting gloves on.Thats aWhole lotta gun . :D
  4. Gunpaq

Gunpaq New Member

Holding one is good enough for me................feeling pain is awfull old.
    They sure are cool looking and feel like you have something in your hand.
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They definately give a new meaning to the term "hand cannon".
  6. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I know my limitations. I do not shoot anything above a .45ACP., but it does sound like fun.
  7. MPinkston

MPinkston New Member

I held one at the gun show yesterday. had an 8" bbl. It needed a bi-pod.
  8. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Even Madder Madness!!!!!

They had a snubbie version in the gun store the other day. It had a two-inch, heavily compensated barrel on it. The gun store clerk hadn't even heard of the 440-grn pills. The biggest he had was 300-grn. Personally, I think it'd be a little too large to carry on a daily basis, but I bet the one shot stop percentage would be pretty darn good. Actually, I bet most semi-rational criminals would stop and lay down on the ground as soon as they saw the business end of it.

Later.
  9. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

They are quite fun I have to say. I've not tried any of the really heavy stuff out of it however, but would like to at some point. Hornady makes a 500 grain load and according to Ballistic Supply, they have a 600 gr. and 700 gr. load available. I think those would be a hoot to shoot but I think I'd consider a glove for those last two. My hands feel it already after 20 rounds of the MagTech. :)
  10. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

My grandmother shoots and owns one, For some reason she got it for her ccw but she went with a Rossi .38 instead. Anyway it doesnt kick that bad. The Hornady evo's are ok out to about 15 yards, maybe 25 yards.
    But the gun shines with Specials,. Ecspecially some fmj. I dont remember what it is. The only problem is keeping it fed. Upwards of 25 bucks per 20 doesnt make for long shooting sessions.-Char
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I haven't ever shot the 3 inch version, But the 8 or so inch barrel wasn't all that bad
  12. sportster

sportster New Member

I have the S&W 4" 500. I do carry it in the winter. It is one fun gun to shoot. Watching your friends shoot is even better. It sure makes them curse with joy. I reload, so the cost of a round is down to 71 cents each, compared to the almost 3.00 a round. I reload with 370gr hardcast gas checked wide flat tip lead. I use 44.5gr of H110 powder, and a nice heavy crimp. It's supposed to be 1801 fps. Nice!:D
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I still ain't figured out how it is considered a pistol. ATF says a pistol is a gun that can be fired one handed, I hope noone is crazy enough to shoot one one handed :D
  14. Ironworker

Ironworker New Member

Hey I love our gun rights. More power to any one who wants that gun. Its so big it looks like it comes out of a Joke Book! I shot one a couple of times and yes it could of been worse.Its so heavy with a two handed stance its still super difficult to hit stuff with.So what good is all that power if you can't hit anything with it consistantly. I have a Colt Anaconda 44 mag. If i had two I could fire 6 rnds with one hand at oncoming Bear. He's be dead also. However if I won the Lottery I'd buy the 460 XVR.Then book a guided big game hunting trip.
  15. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I got a kick out of them when they first came out...$1000 each, and the dealers couldn't keep them in stock....:cool:

Then less than two months later, you start seeing a bunch of "slightly used" ones for sale for $850!:p :p Can anybody say, "More than expected?":p :D :D :D

And every show I see MORE and more used ones too....:p :p :p ;) :D

Now I'm hoping the same thing happens to the .460s, a lot flatter shooting, that's the one I really want to get, mainly because it supposedly also chambers and shoots well the .45 Colt, and .454 Casull, but I'm not seeing them available used yet....:cool: