S&W 629 adj. sights

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Sparks134, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Sparks134

Sparks134 New Member

Just got a 2 year old SS 6" S&W .44 magnum from a gun show and the gun
    shoots high even after making adjustments at the range. Well after closer inspection at home I discover that you can push down on the rear sight as if the metal is bent up. Should I just take it off and bend it back down and re-lock tite it back?? all of my pistols are fixed rear sights. I plan on using this one for deer hunting.......Ed
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

the 629 has a adjustable rear for elevation and windage. Using a flat blade screwdriver turn the larger screw on top of the sight clockwise like your tightening it. this will bring your shot placement down. Dont bend anything, its all spring loaded.
  3. Sparks134

Sparks134 New Member

I'm not the best at explaining things. the rear sight is sprung up. backing off the screw counter clockwise should bring the sight down. All this does is allow the sight's ability to be pushed further down, giving more space for it to travel. It's as if someone pulled up hard on the sight and bent it up. The downward spring tension is gone, it will not adjust any more, even though there is roughly 3/32" of travel left......Ed Schuhl
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Can you post a picture of it. That way I know exactly what your dealing with or if your missing something from the sight.
  5. Sparks134

Sparks134 New Member

I took the rear sight off wrapped it in a rag put it in the vice and and bent the piece back straight cleaned out the holes and re-locktighted the mounting screw all is good now thanks
  6. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I replaced mine with a fixed C&S extreme duty rear sight. I couldn't see the point of an adjustable sight on a 3" gun

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]