S&W 686 question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I have a blued Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel, and I'm thinking about getting another revolver, but with a 4" barrel.
    I like the Ruger design, I can completely strip the thing in the dark, and put it back together with one hand. I love the simplicity, and ease of maintance, and the price compared to a Smith is attractive too.

I could swing getting a Smith 686 with a 4" barrel if I trade in my Beretta 96 on it, and it is a really nice wheel gun, but I'm concerned about Smith's construction.

How difficult are they to take apart for cleaning and maintance...?

How strong are they, and would they be a good choice for a reloader......?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Tony, the S&W 686 is as fine a revolver made. Great trigger and accuracy. Assembly is not so bad if you follow a diagram the first few times.

I traded my 686 to Tuckered1 awhile back and still miss it.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While the Ruger trigger assembly comes out as a group and can be regularly removed for cleaning the S&W is a little different. The trigger/hammer works are under a plate held in by a few screws. It normally is not necessary or desireable to be regularly removing that plate as it is tight fitting and requires a special technique to remove.

I have owned the Ruger and do own several Smiths. For cleaning the Ruger I regularly pulled the trigger group. For Smiths I remove one screw that retains the cylinder assembly and virtually never open up the trigger/hammer internals. It just is not necessary. So the Smith is actually easier to clean for me.

I think you will find that the Ruger is a utilitarian gun as far as fit and finish while the Smith is more precision appearing. Both shoot well, handle nice but the trigger in factory form is much better on the Smith as is the fit and finish. I have several 4 inchers and have had some 6 inchers. The 4 inchers are definitely more handy and very nearly as accurate

All revolver users have to have at least one Smith if for no other reason than to own the one that all others are compared to.

LDBennett
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Thanks guys, I'm still kicking it around in my head....I can think of just as many reasons for getting another Ruger, as I can for getting the S&W. I actually have two guns I could use for trade-in value towards the Smith...(assuming I'd have to go that route)....As good of a hand gun my Beretta 96 is, I'm just not a semi-auto fan. I mainly got it as a home defense weapon, and figured I enjoy target and plate shooting it at the range, but I really don't enjoy shooting it at the range, and a 4" wheel gun will serve as a home defense weapons as well as a semi-auto. Besides, the Beretta will do me no good at home if I'm just not comfortable or good at shooting it. With that said, the Beretta will deffinitely be going as trade-in, as long as the gun shop is willing to give me at least $500.00 for it. It's less than a year old, has only fired approx 1,500 rounds, has every accessory that came with it, and all the paperwork too, plus a Fobus holster, and an Uncle Mikes double magazine holder. It's as clean as it was out of the box new, and has no signs of use or wear.

If neccessary, I could also offer up my Rossi M68 (snub nose .38) as added trade-in value. I've gotten in the bad and dangerous habbit of carrying this little wheel gun in my pickup truck, and in new Jersey where there is no CCW law (to speak of), I'm only going to end up getting myself in trouble with it. If I ever get into a traffic accident, or get stopped and searched, and they find this thing......well, I'll have no reason to fequent this forum anymore.....:rolleyes:
    So it probably wouldn't be a bad idea getting rid of this little gun, it has no place on the target range, and if it'll help get me a S&W 686, then it has more value to me as a trade-in piece, than anything else.
    I got the day off on friday, so I think I'll make the rounds, and see what kind of deal can be struck.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Tony, I have a 686 6" and it is a top notch shooter. You just can't go wrong with a Smif,
  6. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Tony,

A pic of the 686 I got from shooter45. It is one sweet shooter!

Attached Files:

7. Shooter45

Don, I still miss my old 686.

I wish I had a better pic. Not enough light when I took that one.
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well it doesn't look like i'll be doing much of any wheeling and dealing anytime soon.
    The gun shop where the guy told me I'd probably get between $480.00 and $500.00 for my Beretta, quoted me from the trades book, and didn't allow for store profit on the re-sale of the gun. I brought the gun in today, so they could evaluate it, and give me a firm price, and I delt with the the head gun salesman that I normally deal with, and he appologised for the other guy getting my hopes up, but said he probably couldn't allow me much more than $350.00 for it on a trade-in since the store could only sell it for $425.00 to $450.00 along side new ones selling for $575.00 to $600.00, and that they have to be able to turn at least a 25 to 35% profit on it. Seems that is store policy, and he has to follow the rules, even for a guy that just bought a new Ruger GP-100 from them only two months ago.....

If you think that's bad, I then took this Beretta to the shop where I bought it this past summer...(that's right fellas, it's not even a year old yet)....and that rat only offered me $285.00 trade-in value for it. I basicly told him that he just insulted me since I just paid him $575.00 for the gun not 6 months ago, but he wasn't moved by my requests to do better. Needless to say I won't be giving him much more of my hard earned money.

So, where does that leave me you ask.....for now, the Beretta is back in it's special hiding place, two loaded mags, and secured from curious teenager access, serving the role it was originally intended for..."home security". I'll be enjoying my GP-161 at the range, and I'll just have to bide my time, and save whatever spare cash I can stash away, and maybe sometime this summer, or fall I'll have enough saved to buy that S&W 686 4", and just hang onto the Beretta after all.
  9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Sam,

A better pic. Finally dug it out of the moth balls.

Attached Files:

10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That s a terrific little piece, Tuck.
  11. Shooter45

Marlin , I could tell you how sweet a shooter this 686 is but I can't type thru the tears. :D Ace did an excellent job building this revolver.

I still miss it. Looks like I'll get to shoot it again this summer if Tuck doesn't hide it. ;)
    Don, that's a much better pic than the one I had.

BTW, I do have a custom S&W mod. 10 that shoots almost as well.