S&W 686 Rear Sight Elevation Adjustment - Help Please

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sstephenson, Apr 10, 2010.

1. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

I recently purchased a used S&W 686 Plus. It's in nearly-new condition, but I'm having a problem with the elevation adjustment on the rear sight. The gun was firing high, so I wanted to lower the rear sight. The click-stop screw turns just fine with a small flat-blade screwdriver, but no amount of turning seemed to drop the rear sight. On closer examination, I noticed two thing:

1) Turning the screw either way (clockwise or counter clockwise), despite the fact that I could easily feel each click-stop, did not seem to change the position of the screw up or down in the sight assembly.

2) After removing the rear site assembly, I see that it clearly has some curvature to it. Enough in fact that if I were able to move the elevation adjustment screw up or down, the screw would still not have enough range of motion to contact the upper surface of the barrel. Therefore there's no way that turning the screw will cause upward motion on the sight. Because the screw is already not touching the barrel, there is also no way that there will be any downward motion of the sight toward the barrel.

It seems to me that the sight has at least one problem if not two. The screw, while it "clicks", is not moving upward or downward. Also, the rear sight assembly may have been bent somehow not allowing the screw to contact the barrel.

Does anyone have any experience or insight on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I bet you are missing the "rear sight elevation stud."

[​IMG]

It slides in the frame of the pistol to anchor it. You might be missing other parts also, but maybe you can order that one piece?
  3. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

Hi Rifleman,

You are exactly right. Apparently what happened was that I had raised the rear sight enough to allow the elevation adjustment screw to become separated from the elevation stud. Then when I lowered the sight, the stud wasn't engaged with the screw. When I removed the rear sight assembly I found the problem thanks to your input. Everything is back to normal now and working as new. Thanks so much for your help!
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Cool! You are welcome! I am glad I could help!