S&W 686 vs. Ruger GP100 Age Old Decision?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rideflhtc, Jul 6, 2009.

1. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

These two guns seem to be head to head in loyalty from their owners...............some people, I guess, own both and like both.

I hope to use it for range and for outdoors APSA/IPSC courses (haven't started yet)

If I purchase both new today..............which one will hold value the best and what percentage of their value will they be at in 5 years?

Maybe I'll just buy one of each and see! Can't afford it, actually, now that I think about it.

Just curious about what the experts predict.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Which will hold up longer? Ruger. Ruger is, no question, the strongest 357 out there.

Which will hold value better? Smith.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would say that older SW's would hold more value over time, however, the SW of late is not nearly as collectible IMO.
    I would agree with Alpo; you can't beat Ruger's toughness. Although they've had some quality issues as of late, I still think they're the best when price, durability and function is all taken into consideration. I've got a SecSix that is older than I am (only by a year) and it's hands down my fav wheelgun. It just flat out performs and functions without exception.
  5. Stealie

Stealie New Member

If you are going to buy it new get the Ruger, but if you can find a pre lock 686 get it. I have an older 686 with a 4" barrel and love it.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ruger for sure, though smith and wesson has a following and they seem to hold value real well . now it's opinion time. smith and wesson is a sub-par company run by morons. they have ruined the good name of the company just check into the amount of recalls they 've had over the past 20 years and then explain to me if they understand the concept of quality control. at one time 75% of every police holster carried a smith and wesson now it's less than 20 % that in it's self should tell you something.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have never owned a Ruger Revolver, so cant really comment. I have however owned a Smith 686 with a 4" barrel, and loved it. The one I had was very accurate, had a very smooth double action and an excellent single action pull.
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

smith made some good stuff for alot of years i dont doubt you tranter the 686 seems like a fine well made well balanced sturdy gun. though i reject anything smith now makes i do own a few and a couple of my favorites are a model 39-2 that i do carry once in a while. and i resently retired my colt detective special in favor of a smith model 37. both these guns are pre- gun locks and more importantly pre- clinton era agreement that sold out on the gun buying public.
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

To be honest I cant date my 686, but it was soon after they were introduced, mid eighties perhaps? I am really not sure. If the quality has gone down it's a shame.
  10. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Both the S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 are excellent revolvers. Of the two, the GP100 is the more robust design. I have absolutely no doubt that after sliding down a mountain side for a bit with it on your hip the GP100 would still perform. It locks up very strongly. However, with that having been said, I also believe that the S&W 686 is the more precise shooting revolver of the two. Out of the box the S&W 686 typically has the better double action pull, as well as the lighter and more crisp single action trigger pull. The basic design of the older S&W 686 internal mechanism also allows a bit more gunsmith 'tweaking' if required. Given the recent S&W design changes and their possible QC issues, I would also go along with the suggestion that you go for an older pre lock and pre transfer bar design S&W 686 six shooter for your range and outdoor APSA/IPSC course applications. I believe that your APSA/IPSC scores will positively reflect your S&W choice. Also, see if you can try out each revolver in your intended application. They both have markedly different 'feels'.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Neither will hold it's value significantly more than the other. The Ruger is said to be stronger, which I agree with, but that strength is academic unless you are a very bold hot-loader. It is unlikely you will shoot enough to wear out either gun. So what remains it what feels best. Go hold the gun, snap it single action and double action and decide on the basis of what feels good. One final consideration, the ergonomics of the GP100 and the Super Redhawk are identical so you can have a big magnum with the same feel.
  12. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I have owned both over the years and the Ruger is a fine firearm. However, I like the S&W 686 better and I love the S&W trigger by a long shot. :D

My 686 no dash with 6 inch barrel
    [​IMG]
  13. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have the newer 686. Its light, shoots good and handles well. I was very wary of buying a S&W after getting "smoked" on an auto. I had hoped they haven't ruined the revolvers. I had been looking for a 357 for sometime when I got this one. Even though I like the gun, I would probably buy the Ruger instead, at the time this one was new and very reasonable in price.
  14. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

Thank you everyone, for your responses. You have given me several valuable things to consider before I buy either the GP100 or the S&W 686. If the darned economy was as it was two years ago, I would just buy both and then tell you later which I liked best. Unfortunately, we will need to wait on that.

Thanks, again, I really appreciate your time!

rideflhtc