The Firearms Forum banner

S&W autos , 5906 or Sigmas, prices are cheap

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  popgun 
#1 ·
the Sigmas can be picked up in the $250 range and the 5906 just around $300 , now I like both these weapons , I think they are both accurate ,the 5906 is probably a better gun , Im sure the polymer crowd will bellyache over the weight , but I dont care, I carry 1911 govt , its heavy but I like it!

Aside from the trigger problems and magazines that the sigma had , it shoots fine and is a great home defense gun! Hell for the price you can really not go wrong , my advice for anyone that wants to get one is practice with a revolver for a few days then go shoot the sigma , the trigger pull wont phase you then!

the 5906 , was a duty carry weapon (might still be in some places) very dependable gun basically the model 39 & 59 (are the same as the 5906 , just different gens) , the 5906 is Stainless Steel (I love it)! Ive never owned either of these guns , but have fired them both on numerous occasions !! I may soon become an owner of one , probably the 5906 , I already have an SD40 which is a cross between the sigma and mp series and its a great gun as well.

But the 5906 is probably gonna be my next Smith auto!

#2 ·
Hi RedHawk,

I have a 9mm Sigma, and I love it. I started out shooting revolvers when I was a teenager, so the trigger pull was no big deal for me. I bought it for a home defense gun. The trigger pull is intentionally made stiff, because there is no external safety. I think it is an excellent gun for home defense, especially for those that don't shoot often. It's simple and goes bang every time no matter what type of ammo I feed it. Good gun for the money.

#3 ·
I would agree , for the money your getting a great duty carry gun for home defense , and at a relatively cheap price! Now Like I said I have the SD40 so I dont need a sigma (or an MP for that matter) ,I should say though that the compact MP .45 is sweet , though!!!
My big thought is getting one of those used shiny SS 5906's , I really love that gun ,always have!

#4 ·
Redhawk,
Where are you finding the 5906's for $300? Forgive me if you posted it and I just missed it. I too like the all metal S&W auto's. Had a M39 for years, 'til some guy wanted to swap straight across for a Walther P38 AC 44 all matching wartime bring back. Couldn't get it out quick enough! I know the early model 59's had an alloy frame. Is the 5906 all SS including the frame?

#9 ·
I love both my Sigmas. I have a 9 and a police trade in 40 with night sights. The police trade in has a noticeably better trigger but I'm very accurate with both and don't mind the trigger on either. Like any gun you just have to learn the trigger, once you do there isn't much to complain about. I also really love the grip on the Sigma, it fits my hand perfect.

#10 ·
I have always admired the 5906 and passed on some in the past and then wished I hadn't. Our LGS ran a add in the Sunday paper about some police trades for sale. S&W 5906 for $299.99 and S&W 5906 Tactical for $329.99. Another of the Old Guys and I are going to check them out in the morning and if they are nice enough I am not passing this time. Am I correct that the only difference the Tactical offers is the accessory rail in front of the trigger guard?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.