S & W Cylinder Mark

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pwhphd, Aug 1, 2009.

1. pwhphd

pwhphd New Member

I have a S&W Model 19 357 Magnum that is nickel plated. There is a "N" stamped on the rear face of the cylinder visible when the cylinder is open. Can someone tell me what it signifies?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nickel. Means it left the factory as nickel.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

alpo you're a wealth of information. how do you know all the stuff you do?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Few years ago, I was at Mule Camp. I don't recall precisely why I told her, but I told the gal I was with that a man that was putting his gun away was using a 73. She said, "How do you know?" I said, "I can see it." She said, "Yes, but how do you know it's a 73?"

I said, "You make jewelry, right? Beadwork?" She said, "Yes". I said, "Without looking at the labels on the bottles, can you tell, just by looking at the beads, which are onyx and which are amethyst and which are opal and which are coral, and like that?" She said, "Certainly." I asked, "How? I can't." She said, "I've been doing beadwork for over ten years. I know what they look like." I said, "That's how I know. I've been messing with guns for a long time."