S&W M&P .45 Magazine Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 18, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I own an M&P .45 compact. Awhile back I ordered one 8-rd magazine from S&W but hadn't used it until recently. This mag looks identical to the two that came with the pistol but I can only get 7 rounds loaded in it, even using a mag loader.

Taking all three mags apart the difference with this mags spring is obvious. Where as the other two have springs with equal size coils running the whole length of the mag, the spring on this one starts to get progressively smaller as it gets close to the feed lips. I can guess what's happening. I think this spring is designed to collapse inside itself when compressed. The coils are probably getting stuck on each other as this happens. The spring is twisted slightly, so I'm wondering if someone tried to fix this before.

I called Smith and as usual with other things I've tried ordering from them, a replacement spring is out of stock. Having waited a couple months when I placed a backorder in the past I declined. I tried to bend the spring back in place but to no avail...it just wont collapse enough.

Has anyone ever seen a spring tapered like this and is there anywhere to just buy a mag spring and not the whole mag?
  2. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I can't shed any light on your mag problem but I fully understand the frustration of dealing with S&W
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Geeez, been searching all over the internet and apparently this has been an issue for some time. The thing is I can't find a single place to buy replacement springs other than Brownells and they are out of stock on them just like S&W.

This situation is unacceptable to me; firstly because this apparently has been a known issue on all M&P models that has gone on for several years, secondly that something as basic as a magazine spring is out of stock. Still looking for help if anyone knows where I can find them. Part number is 391550000.
  4. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

Have you tried Wolff Gunsprings? I don't know if they do mag springs but they do a lot of others.

I have the same capacity problem with my M&P 9C. The two "12" round mags only got to that point once that I can remember. A 17 round mag for the full-size M&P holds 17 just fine. I suspect that the "clever" spring design to operate in the shorter mag might require more thought. Try buying a 9MM mag spring and do some chopping.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Talked to S&W customer service who seemed uninterested. They said I could send the mag back for a replacement. They claim to have mags in stock, but no springs. It's a shame that S&W should let a part from a third party vendor tarnish the reputation of an otherwise fine pistol.

P.S. Nobody that I can find, including Wolff springs has any springs in stock. Lots of links for this item when Googled but they all lead back to Brownells, and they are for Wolff springs.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Did you try Midway USA to see if they have it ?
    Mike
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Their price for a spring is as much as I can get the whole mag for elsewhere. I guess I'll just send it back to S&W.