S&W M&P vs. Springfield Armory XD/XDM

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by fcs25, Dec 5, 2012.

1. fcs25

fcs25 New Member

Considering buying one of these two pistols in either 45 or 9mm and I was wondering if anyone had any views on which one is better. I shoot a lot each month and the pistol must be both durable and completely reliable.Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Both are fantastic guns and I dont think you can go wrong with ether one. I find that I lean more towards the m&p bc it fits me better plus it comes with the adjustable back strap. I would see which one feels the best to you. Grip it like your going to shoot it and see which one lines up fastest for you.
  3. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

They also have a 5000 round refurb kit for the M&P now that is about $30. They are very naturally ergonomic in the hand.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I have owned an early model XD 40 and a M&P .45 compact. I no longer own either but if I had to choose another plastic frame gun it would be the M&P. For me anyway, the M&P was much more accurate. It felt better in my hand too.
  5. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Another vote for the M&P. It just feels better and with the changeable back strap it can fit multiple users. My Daughter is looking at one in 9mm right now.
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

What!?

Any pistol that needs a refurb at 5K is worthless. On a Glock a refurb kit is a new recoil spring and on an XD it will last 15-20K before a new recoil spring is needed.

Get the XD. Better track record, tough as nails, accurate and reliable. M&P is a reworked SIGMA at best......
  7. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

Looks like ill be going with the m&p then.
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

S&W makes some decent 1911s, M4s, but their Glock line of pistols is lacking. 20 years of copying it and they still aint got it right.

After Gaston destroyed that company they have been nothing but a copy and paste company. Ruger is more innovative, atleast they design AND make guns instead copying. I would be so happy to see something new by them. I hate buying Croatian and Austrian guns but US made pistols are pretty much junk these days unless you get a 1911. Our countries last innovative design and its a century old design. I would get a Keltec before I got a S&W. One of my buddies does have a baby SIGMA (M&P) in 357SIG he duracoated to stop constant rusting and replaced the striker and put an APEX trigger kit in that shoots nice, but could have bought two Glocks or XDs for the price to get it GLOCK like. For out of the box, cannt beat the XD from what the OP is looking at. And since you said you are going with the M&P then, are you the OP under another name?
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I only own two composite framed semi auto pistols, a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P9 Pro Series. Both have functioned flawlessly but I would have to go with the M&P9. It is far more comfortable in the hand and the trigger is very nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. 45 nut

45 nut New Member

I have somewhere between 1500-2000 round through my xd and not 1 single issue.
  11. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I personally like the XD of those choices. Why not look at the FNS? It is made in America even though FNH is not an American company. I have an FNP which is a hammer fired gun but is the same frame as the FNS which is striker fired. Having said all of that, it does not matter what I like. Buy what you like and be happy with it.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would go with th XDM.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned both of them. I may be alone in this feeling, but I did not like either one of them. I tried two different XD models, an XD in .357 Sig and an XD(m) in .40S&W. Neither one of them felt good in my hand. I can't explain it other than saying they just didn't feel good. The only thing I didn't like about the S&W M&P .40 was the way you had to disassemble it. Silly, but that just turned me off for them.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not crazy about either of them but if I were to buy one or the other it would be the XDM. Other than the FN-5.7, I dont have a need for any more poly guns. My money is better invested in 1911s.
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The M&P is a totally different animal internally, its nothing like the sigma and the slides are made of stainless so no rusting. Its of their own design, and resembles nothing of the glock except the striker. The Ruger SR series is closer in design to the glock than the M&P is. The baby Sigma is nothing like it at all and yes, they were junk. APEX kits for them run in the low 100's but much can be done without using the APEX kit at all if you so choose to go that way.