S&W M&P vs. Springfield Armory XD/XDM

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by fcs25, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

You sure about that. S&W has huge QC issues with their slide finish. They try to use a metal treatment like Glock but if done wrong on stainless metals it makes stainless very rust prone. The process is best sited for regular carbon steel. About half the guys I know with MP pistols have slight to major rusting issues.

[​IMG]

Do a quick google on the subject. The carbon steel in XD pistols that get the same process don't rust.
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I own both and my vote is the xdm. Feels better to me. Both are great guns though
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I see many M&P's, never seen one with a rust issue. I know the early models did have a issue with heat treatment but that problem has been fixed for quite some time.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I've never seen it either Helix. As for that picture Boris posted, even if some rusting was an M&P vulnerability, that is clearly a sign of abuse and neglect of the most basic preventive maintenance.

Edit: I will admit I have seen blued steel firearms by various manufactures become rusted, even when well oiled, after being stored away in foam lined cases for years.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, stainless steel does not mean "no rusting" but does mean less likely to rust. I have seen plenty of SS guns rusted due to lack of care.
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Abuse to you is normal use to others. To the range and back and maybe carried every now and then is a safe queen. Hunting, camping, week long hike trips, all normal to me. I have seen M&Ps rust on day 2 of 5 day hikes being soaked in pacNW constant rains. While SIGs and Glocks laughed it off.

I use my guns, seen too many M&Ps rust during what I call normal use, and one had a striker break on one hunting trip. S&Ws latest Glock model has not impressed me at all for what I expect pistols to do.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A little oil every now and then . . . .
  8. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I have an original SW40F bought when they first came out, somewhere around 7-9000 rds through it these 18 years, no rust, no problems.
    I even shot it underwater on a bet, it still works as well as any Glock I've owned.
    There's nothing wrong with the S&W line, and EVERY manufacturer makes a lemon now and then.
    I chose the Sigma because at the time, the Glock felt like a block in my smaller hand, and the Sigma was WAY ahead in ergonomics to the Glock back then. Still carry it today.
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I have an XD9, put over 200 rounds of 3 different brands of FMJ and no problems, no stovepipes or miss-feeds and that was only the first time, at the rage. If I had the choice, in 45, I'd go with SA XD/XDm. While the M&P is superior to the Sigma, I'd rather go with something I'm already used to. (I bought the XD9 on a whim, I originally wanted a Glock or a Sig Sauer, in 9mm)
  10. johnsxdm

johnsxdm New Member

I have a XDM9 and love it!! Never any problems. And FYI, the XDM comes with 3 sets of back straps so you can get the right grip you want.
  11. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

I have an early XD in 9mm. Tried it and a Glock before buying the XD. Glock always pulled right and up, was able to shoot out the X-ring with the XD just by picking it up. Liked the feel much better as well.

If you can, find a range that has both and go shooting before buying.