S&W M&P

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by wolfgang2000, Feb 23, 2006.

1. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

The March American Rifleman did an article on the new S&W M&P. It look OK. From the pictures, it appears that it was derived from several differant pistols. The Barrel looks like it came from Glock. The receiver looks like Walthers, SIG, with a little Ruger thrown in. I like the changeable grip panels.

I hope it works for them, I would hate to see another US gun company go down.

Then there was the line, "As a proper 21st century semi-auto, the M&P has a polymer frame." ;) :D :D :D It speaks for itself.
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I'm not that familiar with S&W so bear with me here.

A few years back wasn't S&W bought by foreign investors? Are they still foreign owned or has their ownership come back to the US?
    I want to know this before I comment and get into trouble.

Thanx,
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

who knows any more it is just to hard to keep up with them. But I think they have a fifty / fifty deal with some European company.
    Ron
  4. lead

lead Active Member

They were bought out by an Arizona based company about two years ago and are completely American owned now. They do still have a partnership with Walther, but just as a distributor of their products.
    The whole gun industry is suffering right now. This new M&P pistol is aa attempt by S&W to get some of the police and military contracts that have gone to Glock, Beretta, H&K, and Sig, all of which are foreign owned. I wish S&W well on the project.
  5. I do as well, lead. I've heard of this new pistol, but I've not seen or handled one yet. I think Smith will have a difficult time competing for this market though, mostly because of two reasons: 1), Smith got into the game far too late to be a real contender, and, 2), Smith's reputation is based primarily on its revolvers, not its autos. We'll see. Personally, I would like to see Smith build the next pistol adopted by the military as an issue sidearm, but an awful lot of things will have to go right for that to happen.
  6. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Today I had a chance to handle an M&P40. I don't like S&W autos as a rule but this one is different. The largest grip backstrap fit my large hand perfectly. Not only did the grip 'grow' size wise, but the palm swell grew also. I have an XD9 and a CZ75 and I love both guns but the grips are just too small and there really isn't any way to enlarge them. This thing really fit my mitt. The slide is made of stainless with a melonite finish and is very nicely done. Take down is simple. I am planning on going to a S&W shoot soon to check out the recoil (not a fan of recoil). The rep said it had similar recoil to a 9mm. However, one of the fellows over on the M&P forum said it has less recoil than his XD. I think there is an M&P in my near future...especially if they come out with a 45ACP.