S&W Mod 10 Custom

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Shooter45, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

My favorite revolver has always been S&W due to smooth trigger pull and accuracy. I never leave anything in stock form for very long. So, when I found this old Model 10 PPC revolver a few years ago, I jumped all over it.

The pistol had alot of features I liked such as a Bo-Mar adj sight rib, ball and detent lock-up, numbered and camfered cylinders, Clark bull barrel w/11 deg target crown,bobbed hammer, light , smooth, double action only, well, you get the idea. The price was right so I bought it.

The first trip to the range, the pistol would not fire any brand of ammo. Replaced the strain screw and went back to the range. It shot everything I fed it. Very accurate, fast shooting and the shot recovery,........the gun never left the target due to the weight and the light smooth,trigger.

Had a nice pair of custom wood grips that were too slick to hold so I put on a set of Hoage grips. I still can't believe the difference. I have put a few thousand rounds thru the old .38 and it will still shoot a 1" group @ 25 yds if I do my part. Not bad for an old Mod 10.

Everytime I think of having another S&W 686 custom built, I shoot this one and the craving goes away for a while.

I have a couple of nice Colt revolvers, but you just got to love an old S&W.

Attached Files:

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That's one nice lookin pistol Shooter45!
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

She's purdy! :)
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Even with a fat barrel, it's still a K-frame, and it's hard for me not to like her.
    Spend all that you want,even buy a Korth, and there is no better wheel gun than the K-frame Smith- My model 10, with a factory barrel, and a "slightly" worked action, will shoot the same scores as a really expensive .45,(my work, colt pistol, 100% reliable, and pretty!)
    We shoot bowling pins, two weeeks out of four, as a match, where I live, and if I could find a better sweeper, i'd shoot it; my m-10 can and does bring home the silverware, time and time again, with no apparent connection to my lousy shooting habits;it has eyes far better than mine.
    My dilemma: I like the 1911, and trust her, but score as well, or better, with the smith; what do I do, now????
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Sam, on the left side of the grip frame, under the grips, is there a stamped 'AP' followed by 3 numbers?
  6. Shooter45

Andrew, No there isn't but under the barrel is stamped "H Paul". The pistol came out of Arizona. I haven't found any info on H Paul. It would be interesting though.
  7. Shooter45

Still no info on the pistolsmith who built this Mod 10. I've checked books and the internet and still nothing. I guess I'll never know.
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

That's one sweet piece Sam.

Y'know, us 1911Nuts keep saying what a historical firearm the '11 is, but that Smitty-10 goes all the way back to 1896 and the first Hand Ejector model. Even served this country (and it's allies) well in WWII as the Victory Model.
  9. punchie

punchie Member

Xracer, very well said!
    I had one of Louis Ciamello (sp), Maryland Gunworks ( way before he semi-retired and moved to FL) Model 10s that was as close to perfect for a Bianchi Cup/PPC gun as I have ever held. I kick my butt every time I think about it but my favorite uncle wanted it REAL bad and I reckon I'll get it back one day.
  10. Hanover67

Hanover67 Member

My first revolver was a Model 10. It was a police training gun and the full-cock sear had been filed off the hammer, so it would only work double action. About the same time I read an article about the Smith & Wesson repair shop, so I sent them the pistol and asked them to replace the hammer with a wide-spur target hammer, which they did.

Like most Smiths, the lock-up is tight and its very accurate...more so than I am.
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

That is a good looking gun
  12. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

What's funny is when I started shooting in the 1980s I first shot in some PPC matches and everybody was using tricked out DAO Model 10s with bull barrels and powder puff loads and shooting one-holers at just about any range while my .45 made targets that looked like I was using buckshot...

Butus "Young Guns" (at the TIME;)) ALL denigrated those revolvers as '"impractical....":cool:

When IPSC became the vogue, PPC lost it's lustre, and you could pick up PPC Model 10s for a SONG, and of course I DIDN'T...

THEN came NRA "Action Pistol" with it's .38 RNL factory as "floor" and QUCKLY those Model 10s came BACK, although this time with Aimpoints, and they kicked my @ss AGAIN!:p

But of COURSE by the time I went looking for my OWN "Cheap" ex-PPC gun they were all gone, magically transformed into the now EXPENSIVE "Bianchi Cup" guns....:cool:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007