S & W Mod 22A-1

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Telcotech, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

I called and checked with Ruger about my 59 model and decided to pass, it needed bluing also. Main reason I passed is I actually wanted something else to shoot and thought the grandson would rather have it as is with all the wear and tear from a teenager on the gun. ;)

Since I have a 22/45 with a small fortune invested in the gun that my old Dan Wesson 722 (SS 22LR/WMR) revolver still out shoots I decided on something different. I guess I could also replace the barrel/receiver on the 22/45 but then I would no longer have a Ruger except for the frame. I just bought the S&W because I liked it and wanted a cheap 22 plinker that was reliable and fair on accuracy. I would have rather had a Browning, but the Browning with top rail was $150 more so I passed.
  2. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I quite understand, Waldo. I just love the look and feel of the original Ruger Standard Auto. It's kind of like an old war bring back. TJ
  3. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Ain't that the truth. I bought a 4.5" MkII and I love the way it is like the old Standard was before a 14 year old kid started carrying it in the woods in '59, it just feels like the same gun and I shoot it the same way as I did the old one. Never used the sights but a couple of times, almost always was point and shoot. Lot of water moccasin had there heads shot of like that with the old Standard, and the Mk II is the same way. I had a 6" Standard that I just traded off that I could not hit a barn door with from 10 feet, also it was so hard to get apart and back together you had to have a hammer and punch, plus a rubber mallet. But most of all it just didn't feel right to me, after 50 years of the 4.5" Standard the 6" just felt strange and was probably why I could not hit anything with the gun.
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I love the feel of that 4 3/4. So well balanced. I bought a 6" in the '80s, but didn't like it as much. Went back and got a Standard MKII 4 3/4. I DO like the feel of my MIII Bull barreled Target, though. TJ
  5. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Ain't we a pair, have two alike.

I also have a 22/45 5.5" Davidsons Limited Edition with Fluted Bull Barrel that I also like to shoot and have spent some bucks on with a replacing all springs with Wolff Springs, Volquartsen Extractor and complete Volquartsen trigger job (1.5lb & no creep) plus I had the bolt jeweled. It has the Hi Viz front and adjustable white V rear sight, but I have a Millet SP1 mounted.
  6. OneXBigTomn

OneXBigTomn New Member

An old post but felt the need to reply and bump it up.
    I have an S&W 22A-1 and have only had one misfire out of it. (CCI minimag) I use it as my main pistol in my pistol league. Shoot 260s with it with a cheap $69 Sight Mark red dot. Not great but not too bad. I find it to be one of the best .22s I own. As for needing to keep it squeaky clean... I have to say I do forget to clean it from time to time and still shoots just fine. The buffers last awhile and only had to replace it a few times. Cheap plastic tabs and no big expense.

I give the pistol an A+

Any ways here is a site for nice grips. http://altamontco.com/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/22A/index.php
    I like the Quantum Target Tan Laser Pattern 2 in super walnut
    super walnut
  7. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

UPDATE>>>>>

Thanks for the link for the after market grips... BigTomn. My S&W 22A-1 , purchased back in October of '09 has at last count, sent approx. 2500 rnds down range with not a single problem. Most of these have been CCI Standard Velocity and the pistol has really come into its own, and is as accurite as my Ruger MKII Target, and am ready to purchase some different grips. I've really come to like the gun, and just 2wks ago purchased a S&W 22S from Cabelas in Owatona, MN. It came with a 1.5 to 7 Swift scope and the S&W laminate grips. These fit my hand much better, so I'm going to order something larger for the 22A-1. The 22S is a bit heavier.....and accuracy is a notch below my H.S. 103, at least so far, I have about 100 rnds down the tube at this point, and the gun does not have a scratch on it. IMO....these are great .22 pistols for the price, and very easy to strip down for cleaning. I'm hoping the gun last a while...it should get used less now that it has an older brother to share duty with.
  8. ksblazer

ksblazer New Member

Just purchased a 22A last month with the intent of adding a scope to it.

Didn't realize that you guys were having so many issues with them. Hopefully I got a good one. Will give you a report back when I get a chance to shoot it.