S&W mod 57

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Coach, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Old Coach

Old Coach New Member

S&W mod 57-1 blue 41mag, 8 3/8 bbl, TH, TT, RR, WO, 98%, no box.
    What is it worth.
    THANKS
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Old Coach.......welcome to TFF! :)

For an S&W Model 57 w/8 3/8" bbl., the Blue Book says:

98% - $435
    95% - $365

Add 10-20% for "S" serial # prefix
    Add 10% for pinned bbl. and recessed cylinder
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Old Coach
  4. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Old Coach
    I find Blue Book Values are more in Line for Dealers that are trying to purchase firearms off private sellers, rather than what we as Consumers are going to pay for any given firearm. To me they are not relavent to what the market is paying for hand guns recently, and a better way to see what a gun is averaging is to watch the Gun auctions as this will tell what the Public is willing to pay for certain discontinued models. It boils down to supply and demand, as well. The Model 57 was over shadowed from the start by the more ppoular model 29. This kept sales low, and it was designed to be the Perfect Police issue revolver. Shortly after coming out, Many Police agencies switched to Bottom feeder Semi-Autos. This again slowed the sales of the model 57, which in turn puts less out there used for us to purchase now as it is a discontinued moel, and this effects the sale price greatly. Most I have seen tend to be more expensive as the barrel gets shorter. The 4" barrel models seem to bring the Highest premium as they did not make as many, as the Other two longer barrels offered. The Nickel finished revolver's are far less common as well, Boosting the sales price and often sell for an average of $550.00-700.00. The 6" variety seems to be the most plentiful, and they average the $450.00-$600.00 mark real money today in the selling public. The 8-3/8" model seems to be less sought after by the general buying public due to it's longer barrel, but this can be a bargain if you find one in good shape, and don't mind the Long Barrel. I recently saw one for $425.00 that was Flawless, and it was Blued. I have also seen this model do all of $550.00 for a nice Nickel factory mint one as well as the Nickel finishes bring more money because less are out there. One thing we know for sure, S&W does not make them any more, and history shows us that they are going up all the time, so if you feel you spent too much on a S&W revolver purchase today, it will be past that figure in a year or so as this has shown true on Most S&W Big Bore revolvers lately, or ones in High demand. I have a 4" model 57 No Dash, that took me 20 Years to find. I would Not take $800.00 for mine, as they are very hard to find and replace.Mine has all the Documents it came with along with the original set of Factory combat grips, and it's factory presentaion case which is like new.I will share with you, Once you fire the .41 Magnum it will leave a strong lasting impression of the best large bore caliber available, as Mine did.In conclusion, I am by No Means an expert on the S&W model 57 but after having Two feel they were the Best big bore handgun made by S&W and hold a strong market value if they are decent shape. I hope this helps in making your decision and I do Not feel the price you gave is out of the park for a hard to locate revolver. Hammerdown
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006