1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W MODEL 10, +P's

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gcrmcc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

I have a S&W model 10 that I inherited. Is it safe to fire .38 special +P's in this handgun? Te gun is in very good condition, SN#C92****

thanks, gcrmcc
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yes it's perfectly safe to fire +p's in a model 10
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

A C serial number is most likely a 5 screw. To be sure look and see if it has a in front of the trigger guard.

If it's a 5 screw then no +P.

No K frame should have a steady diet of +P
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok to disaggree ? +p's even a steady diet wont harm a k frame . you'd have to shoot 50,000 rounds in it before it got loose. was once involved in a test off 20,000 rounds fired from a model 10 no dash all the rounds being 158 grain swc +p with no ill effects wjat so ever
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok let me back track a bit is it a listed model 10 or a pre-model 10 m&p ? if it's stamped model 10 in the crane it's ok if it's not stamped model 10 it's not safe to feed it a steady diet of =P's
  6. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

This S&W is stamped 10-5 in the crane it has 3 screws on the right side of the frame and a screw that looks like it hold the trigger on the left side that looks like is ground off to clear cylinder when it is opened. I can not find any "A" stamped any where on the frame. Barrel is stamped S&W special ctg. I hope this is little more help to figure if the +P's are safe for me to shoot in this gun. Thanks!!
    gcrmcc
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

bang away no problems with +P's at all
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im with oscarmayer on this one. the model you indicate should be well able to handle plus p ammunition.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+2 with John and Oscar.

Today's .38 +P isn't a problem in a K-frame S&W like your Model 10. I like the 158 gr. SWCHP +P load. This load should shoot close to point of aim in your fixed-sight gun.
  10. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

Thank you all. I appreciate the information! I guess it's time to shooting.

Thanks
    gcrmcc
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Mine is a D92**** and has one pin for the barrel, 2 screws on the right side of the frame and a screw on the grip (for the hammer spring I know this by chance. :eek: ) and, of course, the screw for the grips.

I currently use Hornady JHP, but I think I can use some +P's in my revolver, but probably not 20,000 in one sitting.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as long as it's a 10-? +p's will be fine just a plain model 10 no dash i'd limit the use if it's pre-model number m&p avoid using any
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I inherited an M&P and a Smith rep told me no +P's. The break point is when they switched over to model numbers. If it says it's a Model 10 then it should be ok if it's an M&P then no. If you want to be sure call or e-mail Smith.
  14. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

I had the same question about a model 442 a while back. So I contacted S&W customer service and was told if the firearm was manufactured before 1977 +P ammo was not recommended.
    If you want to err on he safe side all it takes is a call to S&W customer service.
    John
  15. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

what is the recoil like in a model 10 with +p.