S&W MODEL 10, +P's

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gcrmcc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

I have a S&W model 10 that I inherited. Is it safe to fire .38 special +P's in this handgun? Te gun is in very good condition, SN#C92****

thanks, gcrmcc
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yes it's perfectly safe to fire +p's in a model 10
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

A C serial number is most likely a 5 screw. To be sure look and see if it has a in front of the trigger guard.

If it's a 5 screw then no +P.

No K frame should have a steady diet of +P
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok to disaggree ? +p's even a steady diet wont harm a k frame . you'd have to shoot 50,000 rounds in it before it got loose. was once involved in a test off 20,000 rounds fired from a model 10 no dash all the rounds being 158 grain swc +p with no ill effects wjat so ever
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok let me back track a bit is it a listed model 10 or a pre-model 10 m&p ? if it's stamped model 10 in the crane it's ok if it's not stamped model 10 it's not safe to feed it a steady diet of =P's
  6. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

This S&W is stamped 10-5 in the crane it has 3 screws on the right side of the frame and a screw that looks like it hold the trigger on the left side that looks like is ground off to clear cylinder when it is opened. I can not find any "A" stamped any where on the frame. Barrel is stamped S&W special ctg. I hope this is little more help to figure if the +P's are safe for me to shoot in this gun. Thanks!!
    gcrmcc
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

bang away no problems with +P's at all
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im with oscarmayer on this one. the model you indicate should be well able to handle plus p ammunition.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+2 with John and Oscar.

Today's .38 +P isn't a problem in a K-frame S&W like your Model 10. I like the 158 gr. SWCHP +P load. This load should shoot close to point of aim in your fixed-sight gun.
  10. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

Thank you all. I appreciate the information! I guess it's time to shooting.

Thanks
    gcrmcc
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Mine is a D92**** and has one pin for the barrel, 2 screws on the right side of the frame and a screw on the grip (for the hammer spring I know this by chance. :eek: ) and, of course, the screw for the grips.

I currently use Hornady JHP, but I think I can use some +P's in my revolver, but probably not 20,000 in one sitting.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as long as it's a 10-? +p's will be fine just a plain model 10 no dash i'd limit the use if it's pre-model number m&p avoid using any
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I inherited an M&P and a Smith rep told me no +P's. The break point is when they switched over to model numbers. If it says it's a Model 10 then it should be ok if it's an M&P then no. If you want to be sure call or e-mail Smith.
  14. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

I had the same question about a model 442 a while back. So I contacted S&W customer service and was told if the firearm was manufactured before 1977 +P ammo was not recommended.
    If you want to err on he safe side all it takes is a call to S&W customer service.
    John
  15. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

what is the recoil like in a model 10 with +p.
  16. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

About the same as a hot 9mm reload, not any where near a .357 mag recoil, At least that is the way it feels with my S&W model 10

gcrmcc
  17. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I purchased a 10-8 m&p in 1980 new from a gun shop. Recently I asked S&W customer service if ok to use +P, and was told no. He also told me the gun was shipped in 1968. Is it unusual for a gun to sit on the shelf that long before being sold?
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

22WRF left a word out of his post. He said the gun might be a five-screw and said "To be sure look and see if it has a SCREW in front of the trigger guard". See the one marked "4" in this picture.

Attached Files: