S&W Model 10/Victory Help.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnabt1, Nov 2, 2006.

1. johnabt1

johnabt1 New Member

Sirs;

I have a S&W Victory, and it seems a lot like the model 10 a friend has. We were wondering if a Victory frame could accept the model 10 parts kits now available, and if there are any good S&W gunsmiths willing to make this or check it out if we do the work? This is for a shooter only, nothing more.

Thanks!

John Abt
  2. richyoung

richyoung New Member

I am NOT a revolver expert, but its been my understanding that a "victory" mdel Smith was just a model 10 with less polish, parkereized finish, and a lanyard ring on the grips - with ONE caveat...

...I also understand that SOME "victory" models were chambered in .38 Smith & Wesson calibur - which is NOT the same as .38 Special. So make sure you know what round your gun is chambred for - the bullet diameters are different, and "bad things" can happen if you find one that can accidentally chamber the "wrong" round, and pull the trigger.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Victory model was so named for the "V" prefix which was placed before the serial number and represented "Victory" against the Axis powers in World War II.

Serial numbers for the .38 special Victory model began at about V1 in early 1942 and ran until VS811119 with a date of late August of 1945 (end of production). V1 to approximately V39,999 were predominately .38 S&W Caliber (I have observed revolvers in the 1-40000 range in .38 special caliber). Serial numbers are located on Inside right grip, frame butt, Cylinder, extractor star, and bottom of barrel. Crane and crane recess are also serial numbered to each other, but this is a different number then the revolvers serial number as is correct for Victory model revolvers.

The Victory Revolver was produced during World War II, it is a variation of the Military & Police Model of 1905, fourth change and had the following characteristics between 1942 and 1945:

Barrel: 2, 4, 5, or 6 inch. (4 inch common in .38 special, 5 inch common in 38/200 or .38 S&W)
    Sights: Fixed
    Finish: Early sandblast blue, sandblast mid-night black (appears grayish black). And finally a parkerized finish. Hammer and Trigger are case hardened.
    Grips: Checkered walnut with medallion until early 1942, post February of 1942 they are smooth American Walnut with out medallions.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome John, can't add anything more than 22WRF said
    Have you tried taking the grips of your friends Model 10 and seeing if they work on you Victory
  5. johnabt1

johnabt1 New Member

SouthernShooter and Group;

Thanks for the advice! We tried the grips, and they don't fit. The spring held extractor beneath the barrel is longer on the Victory and as you folks said, the chamber sizes differ. Other than that, the rest of the parts look similar.
    Any S&W Gunsmiths out there?? Still interested in the conversion.

John