S&W model 10

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by pinkerpv, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

I have a friend who is selling his father in laws gun collection. he has several S&W revolvers. I have already bought 3. The ones left are 2 model 10's, a 19, a 17 and a 34 (nickel). I think these are a good investment. What do you think?
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    If the price is right, you like them and can afford it, snap them up. You can't go wrong with any one of the handguns mentioned.

I have a particular fondness for S&W revolvers, K-frames in particular and .22's especially. One of the advantages I enjoy is having a matching pair of revolvers, like my model 15 and model 18, one in .38 Special the other in .22LR. This combo provides an excellent defense gun and cheap practice with the same feel, weight and trigger. The only real difference is recoil.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

IMO the nickel Model 34 is your best bet for an investment. Nickel M34s are less common than blued guns. A M34 with a pinned barrel (pre-1982) is most desireable.

Your next bet would be the Model 17. No S&W collection is complete without one. M17s are great for shooting or collecting. Again, a pinned barrel is worth more.

Model 10s are very common - good guns, but not for investment. Same with Model 19s unless with 2.5" or 3" barrels.

USMC-03: +1 to the Model 15/Model 18 combination!
  4. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

Steve, What do you mean by a pinned barrel. I think these may be later than 82. The model 10's are both 4 in bbls but one is std and the other is bull.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Buy them and shoot them and have fun. If you want to invest buy a Mutual Fund if you want to have fun buy the guns. The Model 10 was the police standard for many years and are still plentiful and the 19's were a great police revolver as well but check for tightness as they shoot loose with a steady diet of 357's. I have a Model 10 that was made in 1955 and they just don't make triggers like that any more.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

pinkerpv, check where the barrel meets the frame. A pre-82 gun will have a thin metal pin through the barrel at that point. Post-82 guns won't.

There is no difference in accuracy or quality of pinned/unpinned barrels. It's just a way for collectors to distinguish versions of the same revolver.

Terry - going to the gun show in Concord this weekend? I'm driving in from Central New York for a mini-vacation.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. magusjinx

magusjinx New Member

I had a Model 10 M&P ... It had "Civil Defense" engraved on the side ... Sweetest little shooter I ever had, especially with handloads ...
  8. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

What do I think? I think you should post some pictures!!
    Are you trying to sell them?
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I'm still in Texas as we are snowbirds and are slowly making our way home.