S&W Model 25-5

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by todd51, Mar 12, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wow, I feel good :D Went to the gun show today and thought I might pick up a 4" S&W to use as a holster gun while down in the hills playing and mowing. Maybe a 15, 67, 19, 66, 586, or 686 but what I saw was pretty pricey. I looked at a couple Model 25's but they were $675 and $750 and I passed. Then I ran across this beauty. Well she wasn't so beautiful sitting there on the table, dingy would be a better term. I looked her over closely and didn't see a thing wrong that a good cleaning wouldn't fix. She looked like someone had fired a few rounds through her ten years ago and then just left her laying around. What really grabbed my attention was the asking price of $545. Well what the heck, she ain't the holster gun I was looking for but she was on my "wanted" list and she is NICKEL so I offered $500 and the seller accepted. The smile hasn't left my face. I already load the .45 LC for my Blackhawk and this gun surely is going to be fun to shoot and make BIG HOLES.

Came home and took her apart and gave her a good cleaning and I can't find a thing wrong with her. What few scuffs there were polished right out and the bore and cylinder are clean and bright. Now all I have to do is take her shooting. :D
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

there aint nothin wrong with carrying that. helps if you are over 6 foot or very stocky.

great buy by the way. last one I say just like that was 699
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great deal ! So here I was ranting about no longer being any good deals at the gs's and now ya gotta prove me wrong Todd ! ;) :D One of the rare ones to be found at a gunshow, proof they can be found.
  4. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The 25-5 loads must stay in the safe factory load range. These guns are Ok with the loads used in the older Colt Mdl P range. Do not ever use loads in the Ruger Blackhawk data. These guns have weak chamber walls in the area of the cylinder latch cuts. You may find that you get "Key Holes" in your paper targets. I have found that going to a larger bullet can reduce the flyers and key holes with these guns. I use a bullet larger than .452 in a hard cast slug.

RC
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Worm:
    Your rant is well justified. The gun show has sure changed over the years. But it is like any thing else, buyer be ware, know what you are looking at and what it is worth. I was not really looking hard for a mod. 25 but have always admired and desired one but passed on all of them as they were just too pricey. I was really surprised to see this one and after examining it decided now was the time to take the plunge. For some reason someone was just to lazy or what ever to properly clean and display that gun and I think I benefited. Even today after fondling the crap out of that revolver I find nothing wrong and it shows little use. I am like "James Brown" in that "I Feel Good".

Redwing:
    Thanks for the warning. I am aware to the limitations on this model and of the peculiarities of the .45 Colt bullet in various guns. But that is part of the fun finding what works. I don't load hot even for the Ruger. My shooting is all range fun these days and I don't really like the heavy recoil from any handgun. As you can see those cartridges I loaded are in the + - 650fps so they a powder puff loads but that is for fun shooting and a lot of it.

Todd
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE, Todd! That revolver is beautiful!
    Great price and looks like or as, a new one. Congrats on your find! 45LC, havent
    seen one of those in S&W in a while. Great find.