S&W model 28

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lead, Oct 10, 2004.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I'm buying a model 28(Highway Patrolman). 6 inch barrel, adj. sights, Hogue rubber grip. I really like the feel of it. How do these stack up to other S&W revolvers, like in terms of accuracy, handling magnum loads, etc.? I'll mostly target shoot with it, but could I take it hunting? Thanks.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

why does a highway patrolman need a 6 inch barrel?
  4. punchie

punchie Member

Bet it looks like this but with Hogue grips
    [​IMG]
    It is just hard to beat a S&W N frame 357 in any area, accuracy or strength. The 28 is a fine revolver, same as the 27 but w/o all the bells and whistles, a true working mans gun. I see no reason not to load up some healthy loads and go whitetail hunting with it. Keep your distances to shotgun (or less) range and the gun will do its job if you do yours!
  5. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Mine has a 4" barrel.
    I picked it up at a gun shoe for $300.
  6. lead

lead Active Member

It's a sweet shooter. for me, Smith and Wesson can't be beat.
  7. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

That N frame Smith is built to take some pretty hefty loads, but I use mine mostly for target shooting. It's a phenomenally accurate piece. I use Lazercast 158-gr swc's on top of 4.5 gr HP-38. I don't remember the recipe I used for 125 and 158-gr HP's but the beauty of this gun is you can work up some pretty serious loads and not worry about fatigue.
  8. Tom

Tom Member

The S&W Model 27 is the classic .357. The Model 28 is the slightly lower cost version. They are the bull strong .357. I have a 6" Model 27-2 that is 30 yrs old. Beatifully finished, great trigger, shoots great. I have Pachmayr grips on it, but that is a personal preference.
    If you can get a Model 28 in good shape for a good price, do it. You won't regret it. Due to lower production quantities, the Model 28 is becoming more valuable than the Model 27.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Tom! :)
  10. lead

lead Active Member

Yeah, welcome Tom. I think you're right. A couple years ago Model 28's were alot cheaper. I've seen prices go up around here. I've also seen some real beauties show up in the local shops. I wish I had the money to "rescue" them all and give them a good home.
  11. russlate

russlate New Member

My first centerfire pistol was a 6" 28 bought for me by my Dad, stolen in a burglary about a year later. That was 30 years ago when Colts and Smiths could be trusted out of the box. Nowadays I won't look at one, new or not, without giving it as much or more scrutiny as I used to give used ones.

A few months back I spotted a near new M28 with 4" bbl., and grabbed it. It's one N-frame that's built like a rock, umm, make that a TOUGH rock. If I ever had to grab a gun and run, this would be the one. Overweight like a tank or a locomotive.
  12. ElectricEye

ElectricEye New Member

I owned a 4" 28 and regret ever selling it. pinned, counter sunk, n frame, matte monster. who could ask for anything more? :D a great combo, wish they still made em that good
  13. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

It does look sharp. I like the walnut grips.
  14. ElectricEye

ElectricEye New Member

I hear you can pistol whip a steer with one. Very heavy overbuilt revolver. I need to get another one quickly. :D
  15. russlate

russlate New Member

Another similar overbuilt gun is the Official Police (41 frame same as Python ) in 6 shot 22 lr.

Actually, what will really blow your mind is that Peterbilt now makes a pick up. Don't have a link to it, but shouldn't be hard to find.
  16. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

Every once in a while, I entertain the notion of trading my model 28 for a smaller, more concealable 357. Then I take it to the range. Or I pack it along coyote hunting and I can't bear to part with it. Mine is the 6-inch with smooth S&W grips. (the big target ones, only smooth) I tell ya boys and girls, it's a work of art.