S&W Model 3 44 Russian...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Colt22rev, May 25, 2012.

1. Colt22rev

Colt22rev New Member

Just got my hands on this nice little antique. I am looking to sell it if the price is right. to my understanding its quite valuable, just trying to get a more accurate figures. Here's the exact specs. Im working on getting some real nice pictures of it. Any information on it/help would be greatly appreciated my fellow gun enthusiasts.
    Smith and Wesson Model 3 Russian 3rd Model . Commercial Model.
    Nickel plated. 95%. Caliber 44 Russian.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. You probably have Flayderman's data, but if not he lists value range from $875 (GOOD) to $2250 (FINE) for that variation.
  3. Colt22rev

Colt22rev New Member

No I do not have access to Flayderman's data. Are you sure thats the commercial model? the commercial model only had 13500 made of it unlike the russian contract that had some 65k, so Im assuming its value is higher with the rarity? all I have is the 2010 standard catalog of firearms it lists at 9000 for very good condition. why am I getting such large differences in price, ive seen everything from 600 to 9000. this is my first antique firearm, and its a real nice peice. built like a bank vault. anyone be of any more service? thanks for the info
  4. Goody

Goody Member

5. Colt22rev

Colt22rev New Member

I already have the 2010 standard catalog of firearms? which do you think is more accurate? any tips/advice on going about selling it? I paid a lot for it, a gunsmith friend of mine recognized it (plus it looks amazing) so in order to seal the deal I shelled out a good amount of cash for it.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Your model description matches Flayderman's exactly, so I thought that might be your source.

Remember, the others were shipped to Europe and Japan for military use so you can't assume rarity based on quantity made,

The rare models are those in .44 rimfire caliber.
  7. Colt22rev

Colt22rev New Member

No I just wrote that up. Standard Catalogue of Firearms has it listed at 9000 for excellent and 600 for poor. Anyone have any expierence with selling antique firearms that can help me out on understanding all these different values and how to determine my value?
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You might try to Google recent auctions and see if any show up and what they bring (not what is asked). Despite what seems a low production figure, those guns are not uncommon, though IME nice ones are rare, though I don't think $9000 worth of rare.

Flayderman's doesn't come out often enough to keep up with sales; the Blue Book (not latest) gives a top value of $3750 for 98% and shows nothing for 100%.

I think your value will depend on condition and no one will make an estimate on that without seeing the gun or seeing some very good pictures.

Jim