s&w model 36 year

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wrv, Feb 4, 2007.

1. wrv

wrv New Member

hello all-

was curious as to the year of my M36, serial number J301xxx. i'm pretty sure i know the value. all original, wood grips, nickel finish. needs a bit of work for cylinder play.

thanks a lot.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi wrv.....welcome to TFF. :)

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, your Chief's Special was made 1975 - 1976.
  3. wrv

wrv New Member

thanks!
  4. Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny New Member

You guys helped me on another thread with more accurately identifying my gun. Now I was wondering if you could give me an idea of its value.

My camera is broken so I'll have to describe it.

It's a 1968 Model 36. It has a square butt with original wood grips with the checkering. These are in nice condition with no damage. It has a 1 13/16" barrel (1 7/8" I guess?).

It's steel with black finish. Action is tight with no play anywhere and the barrel lands and grooves look like new with no rust or damage.

There is some light surface rust present on the outside of one chamber of the cylinder and a little bit on the left side of the barrel over the words Smith & Wesson. There is also some rust on the back corner of the butt frame.

Other than those areas the finish is smooth and shiny.

I intend to soak the rusted areas with Kroil or similar penetrant/solvent unless anyone here has a better suggestion for the removal of the surface rust.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. kobsw

kobsw Member

Otto,
    From what you describe I would put your S&W Model 36 in the $250-$300 dollar range for a FTF transaction. Probably less if you were to sell it to a gunshop.

Remember a gun is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

Anyway, I have a c.a. 1972 Model 36 and enjoy shooting and CC it now and then.

Best, Kobsw
  6. Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny New Member

Thanks Kob.

I thought it would be somewhere in that range but wanted to get others' input.

Any tricks or suggestions on dealing with the surface rust?
  7. kobsw

kobsw Member

Otto, 0000 (that's 4 Ought) steel wool or a brass wool. Use oil and lightly scrub off the rust making sure that you keep the wool clean of any rust flakes. Remember to take your time.

Now one of two things will happen. First, the surface rust will come off leaving an almost perfect finish. Second, the rust will come off revealing bare steel. This occures because the rust ate through the finish.

Although you will now have steel freckles it will be better than rust which will continue to eat away at the gun causing more rust and pitting.

I'll post a pic of my 36 which was a true working gun and is missing a lot of finish.
  8. kobsw

kobsw Member

Model 36 no dash c.a. 1972

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kobsw
  9. Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny New Member

Hi Kob,

Your gun is virtually identical to mine. The only exception is the shortened thumb rest on the hammer of your gun
  10. kobsw

kobsw Member

Otto, you have a good eye. This was my Father's backup during his time as a LEO. One day while cleaning the gun he dropped it right on the hammer spur. The hammer was so bent out of shape that he cut most of it off and ground the edge smooth.

The gun still functions perfectly.

If I took the grips off you would see that all of the finish is gone and that the steel is actually pitted. Once or twice a year I shoot it, give it a good cleaning and oil down the grip frame which has protected the exposed metal for years. I mean there is no rust to be found at all.

Let us know how you do with your 36.

kobsw
  11. Otto Skorzeny

Otto Skorzeny New Member

Funny. I thought it was an optional hammer or custom job to keep it from snagging on clothing or something.

I bought some 0000 steel wool yesterday. I'm going to get started cleaning it up today.