The Firearms Forum banner

S&W Model 39

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lanrezac 
#1 ·
So me and my grandpa took out his Model 39. It was fun to shoot however it had a serious jamming problem. We were constantly having to clear it and what not. I just did some research and supposedly the humped feed ramp plays a huge role in this issue.
Do any of you guys have one and if so what ammo, if any, do you guys use? This thing jammed so much I would only consider using it for target shooting.

Another question, the serial number is 62xxx. Upon researching the hump thing I learned that they stopped making the model 39 and started making the 39-2 which did not have the humped feed ramp. If this thing is a model 39 why would it have such a high serial number and if it is a model 39-2 why would it have a humped feed ramp?

#4 ·
I have a 39-2 and it runs like a Timex watch. (For you young persons, that means real good.) I've NEVER seen a 39 (no dash) I can recall; it may be worth more to a collector so I would suggest not 'fixing' it.

On the other hand, if it's your grandfather's and he likes it to work...

You might try a couple different types of ammo. You may find it works best with 9x19 NATO ball ammo and not hollowpoints.

#5 ·
I have a 39-2 and it runs like a Timex watch. (For you young persons, that means real good.)
For you older persons who remember Timex in the old days, it means a heap of crap, worn on the wrist, which fails 10 minutes after the warranty expires. Timex has come a long way, and is now a respectable brand. But it was a really rough start...:)

#6 ·
I have a 39-2 and it runs like a Timex watch. (For you young persons, that means real good.)
That is what I have been reading about the 39-2. They fixed all the mistakes from the 39.
And I happen to wear a Timex as my go to watch.

I read this online however I don't know how reliable it is. This is what I was basing my initial assumption.
"Manufactured originally with steel frame and steel slide until number 927 (1954-1966). At that point the Model 39 became the Model 39-2 and was manufactured with a steel slide and alloy frame until 1983 when production of the Model 39 ceased."

What I find funny is that this gun has an alloy frame and a high serial number, which are characteristics of the 39-2 but it has a humped feed ramp, a 39 style ejector, and it is stamped 39 which would indicate 39.

#7 · (Edited)
I would try different kinds of hardball. I have 9mm pistols that will feed 115 grain bullets and choke on 124 grain FMJ, and vice versa. If you can find other weights, all the better.

Fiocchi used to make a 124 grain truncated cone FMJ that fed well in most things I had, but I have no idea if they still offer it.

I think when the Illinois (Indiana?) highway patrol adopted the Model 39 back in the 1960's, they used a 100 grain jacketed soft point in it. If that means anything, it might suggest a preference for short (i.e., lightweight) bullets - but that's pretty much pure speculation. Sorry not to be more help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.