S&W Model 39

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by usscroaker, Aug 19, 2010.

1. usscroaker

usscroaker New Member

I have a S&W model 39 S/N 7452
    Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured and what is it worth.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Is it a steel frame or alloy frame? with a serial number of 7452 I would guess it would be an alloy frame, but why should I guess when you can tell us. Value is hard to dertermine with out pictures.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if it's a steel frame you have a collector gun on your hands. very limited numbers were made. if it's a "normal" model 39 and it was made between 1955 and 1956. somewhere in the early 60's the design was changed a bit and it was a 39-2 , somewhat more reliable with a improved ejector. adopted by the Illinois state police as their standard duty gun in the mid - 60's in my opinion it never got the credit it deserved as an excelent handgun. need pictures to help determine the condition and value.
  4. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

oscarmayer: A little bit of correction, it was the extractor that was changed to make the 39-2. The original M-39 had a long, spring steel extractor set into a recess in the slide.......they had a tendency to break. In the early '60s they went to a milled, short extractor with a coil spring to maintain tension, also in a different, smaller milled recess in the slide. The ejectors remained the same in both models.
    Yes, if it happens to be a steel M-39 it's VERY rare. There are rumors of such, but I have never seen one. However if steel, it most likely a later Model 539...... a production model with a run of somewhere in the area of 3000 pieces. Here is a pic of my personal 539........modified, but carried on duty for about 12 years of my 35 year law enforcement career. This came in after I had carried one Colt Police Possitive and two different S&W wheel guns, and when our Dept. finally decided to go to the Smith autos........shows you how long ago I started, huh? We did have a couple of M-39's, but all issued guns were 39-2's and later. The early 39's were officer owned as well as was my 539. Mike
    P.S. Notice that the backstrap is alloy, like all of the original M-39's. They just kept that piece and made the short run of 539's wothout making steel backstraps.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yep my bad..... the proper name is indeed the extractor
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Acturaly the steel frame guns were made first, but the alloy guns were sold first. The sreel frame guns fall into 39000/60000-64000 and again in the range of 81000/82000. IAW the SCofS&W.
  7. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Please explain then why my steel framed one is serial number791xxx
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:DI have absolutely no ideal, perhaps a E-mail to S&W is in order. Being an expert only in finding the dinner table I can only go by the S&W book. Perhaps it is a re issue, one returned to the factory with a cracked alloy frame, repaired and re issued with a steel frame and the same serial number( book states that was standard ). Unless you bought the gun new way back when, that is a very real possibility. Now if you bought the gun new in the box I have no other ideals other than a early series not listed.:D
  9. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Got it new in the box thru my Dept. Not disputing your info, just that it isn't quite what I was told by the S&W folks back when I was involved with such things as a police armorer, working on nothing but S&W firearms and Remington shotguns initially. Your info has me wondering, just for personal knowlege I may decide to do a little digging. Thanks, Mike
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I would think this is a case for a S&W letter. How ever I have found that any manual, tech book. history book or whatever is out dated the second it comes off the press, and is subject for correction. Some times the errors are compounded by others relying on that information and is only caught by someone such as your self who says " Whoa, that can't be right" because you have the evidence in your hands.:D
  11. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

ILLUSTRATING

My pistol S&W model 39-2 (alloy frame)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That whole area is and always has been badly confused, and based on what I have read, I don't think even the S&W folks know the whole story. One thing is interesting; the SA model was introduced to the trade first (1954); the DA model came later.

Jim
  13. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

I believe that the S/A model is the M-52 target gun in .38 wadcutter, the M-39 did follow that one and was presented for possible miltary contract in competition with the Beretta which did become our military sidearm.
  14. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

9 mm Automatic Pistol

Double Action Model 39

(Shooter's Bible 1983 Edition)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

38 Master Model No.52

(Shooter's Bible 1989 Edition)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

From Firearms 2010 Standard Catalog - Dan Shideler

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  15. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Luis....Thanks! Great info......Does it show any listing for the M-539. Of course mine has no collector value since it has been altered, but I am interested, just for the knowledge. Mike