S&W Model 39

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by usscroaker, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I said above that there is a lot of confusion about that whole group of S&W autos, but I would not depend on an auction site for accurate information. The Model 44 (so-called) is even more confusing. It really was the first to be announced, in 1954, and appeared in the 1955 Gun Digest. The cover has a picture of an engraved model. It has no model designation, and is described simply as the "S&W 9mm pistol". There were similar articles in the gun magazines at the time, all describing the single action model.

The DA model (later called the Model 39) was actually produced later. It shows signs in design of being the result of a "crash" program. The SA gun was made in only a small quantity (100 or less is the usual figure given), though it was cataloged. The clamor for the DA model apparently led S&W to drop the SA model and concentrate on the DA model. Even so, it was some time before any appeared. Mine is #5683 and was bought new in 1957. It has an alloy frame.

Jim
  3. Troyha23

Troyha23 New Member

I also have a S&W mod 39. So you say that the long extractor spring will eventually break? Is there anything I could do to modify?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those extractors did occasionally break, but they generally are quite reliable, so I wouldn't worry much about a particular one breaking. There is no feasible way to modify the original guns to use the new type extractor.

Jim
  5. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

The Mdl.39 9MM pistol was nothing more than a streamlined Walther P-38. In the history of the Mdl.39 S&W the S&W engineers based the Mdl.39 on the P-38.:cool:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, no. It is true that the German P.38 inspired several designs of DA/SA auto pistols, and some aspects of the S&W Model 39 (and its successors) were derived in part from the Walther design, the two pistols are basically very different, and no one familiar with both would call the Model 39 a streamlined P.38. The P.38 uses a unique locking block system (later copied by Beretta), while the Model 39 is a cammed dropping barrel system using a basic Browning lockup with some variations.

The double action system of the Model 39 is also very different from that of the P.38.

One common, and positive, feature is the grip, which in both pistols is very ergonomic and comfortable. S&W got away from that, though, when they went to a large capacity magazine in the Model 59.

Jim
  7. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Not so fast Jim K. Streamlined can mean brought up to date and modernized. S&W engineers did just that. No one said the P-38 was exactly like a M-39 S&W.;)
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know any other way to interpret "The Mdl.39 9MM pistol was nothing more than a streamlined Walther P-38" other than to mean that the two guns are essentially the same. By that kind of definition, an M9 Beretta is nothing more than a streamlined Luger.

Jim
  9. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

There you go you have it figured out. English as a first language is so helpful.:D;)
  10. armenjs802

armenjs802 New Member

Well, one of the few banned States in US, and for
    WTS forum I just sold a sw 439. pics available.