S&W Model 41 Pic Thread

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstanfield103, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

I just wanted to show off a picture of my 1960 model 41 setup that I have. I have one more older barrel coming for it. I will mount a Red Dot that I have on that, then I am done buying for this gun. But man I really Love this thing. I shoot more now than I ever had. As you can see I made a bench rest for it, mounted on the frame is a factory tapped 7" barrel with a 2x7-32 mm Scope with a eye relief of 8-18". This is my favorite scope ( due to me having short arms, better closer eye relief ). In front of the rest is a 7" weighted older barrel, this is the barrel that came with the gun. On this barrel is a Bushnell Elite 2x6-32 MM scope. I like the quality of the scope but it's eye relief is a full constant 20". Almost to long for my arms makes firing it a little of a reach. On the back of the rest is a 5.5" heavy barrel. I use this for open sights, I don't use it very often though, I enjoy the bench shooting the most.
    Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    By jstanfield at 2011-12-26

[​IMG]
    By jstanfield at 2011-12-10

[​IMG]
    By jstanfield at 2011-12-26

As you can also see, I have started to go with nothing but CCI SV ammo.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

CCI SV ammo is the best. I use it in about 10 target pistols without problems. I highly recommend it.

But.... there may be ammo out there that would give even smaller groups than the one you show. The only way to know is to try a box of everything. Be aware that probably you will find that ammo and it could be up to ten times more expensive. To me CCI SV is "good enough" when it shoots groups like you pictured if that displayed group was shot at any distance equal to or greater than 50 feet, in my experience.

That is indeed a nice collection of stuff for your M41. I just got a Clark 5 1/2 inch barrel for my Model 41 that had come with a 7 inch barrel without tapped holes for a scope mount. I stuck a red dot on the tapped Clark barrel and saw similar groups to yours at 50 feet off the bench. The Clark barrel most certainly performs as good or better than the original S&W barrel and as good or better than any other target 22 I own, and I have a few.

LDBennett
  3. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

LDBennett, Thanks for the comments. I did fire that target at 75 feet (25yrds). I have been looking for better match grade rounds but the CCI SV is so much cheaper and I believe that if I learn to control my breathing and my support in proves my groups will shrink. I believe I will just stick with the CCI SV for now.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

jstanfield103:

I too regard the good pricing of the CCI SV ammo as a game changer. I use it exclusively in all my 22 target pistols and rifles. I only offered up other ammo choices so that, if you did not already realize it, you MIGHT be able to do better yet, accuracy wise. I am totally and completely satisfied with my choice of CCI SV and will not pursue chasing any other "better" ammos.

Good luck with your Model 41.

LDBennett
  5. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

LD yep I don't think my accuracy will change with the ammo. I believe that the ammo is more accurate than I am. It sounds like we are both pleased with are groups using CCI SV. Thank you very much for the input. I always liked the saying Mel Gibson had in patriots. "Aim Small, Miss Small"
  6. Rembrandt

Rembrandt New Member

7. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Rembrant that is a very nice 41. I love the olympic wieghts. I am thinking of buying a set but the price is awful high. I just don't think I would ever use them. Do you use yours much?
  8. Rembrandt

Rembrandt New Member

Have two sets of weights, bought them years ago at gun shows when they were "cheap".....$50 each. Don't really use them too much, but they do work well for keeping the gun steady.
  9. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

You guys are killing me with those beautys. Now my Rugers look like crap. Not only are they expensive but they're hard to find in my parts, used ones are very rare and don't last long on the shelves.