S&W Model 41 Slide Stop/ Ejector Question?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstanfield103, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

I have a 1960 model 41, It has had ejection ( stove piping) problems. I have replaced the extractor, it has helped. I ordered a new Slide Stop/ Ejector assembly from Brownell's. The new Ejector's are not drop in parts, they have to be fit. Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you do it?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Well after much debate and looking, I finally get the Slide Stop/Ejector fitted. It took a lot of work and a lot of filling and sanding with 800 and 2000 grit sand paper. But after 2.5 hours it works great. I even had to adjust my Hogue grips a little. But I am very very happy I did buy the new Slide Stop/ Ejector assembly. It ejects the cartridges very well. No matter how fast or slow you hand eject them. Will no better after the range, but have no doubt it will work just fine. Like I said the ejector part is twice as big as the old style ejectors. Can't wait till the range tomorrow. Good day! Life is Good !!
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

On a 41 (or any handgun) of that age, a new recoil spring may be in order. A fatigued recoil spring has been known to adversely effect ejection. I'd suggest Wolff springs...... I bought a recoil calibration pak from Wolff for about $20. Just by changing a spring, you can improve the gun's ability (and make it easier on the gun) to cycle with a variety of ammo velocities.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/SMITH & WESSON/NUMBERED SERIES/cID1/mID58/dID261

Scroll about 1/4 the way down the page.....
  4. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Jay thanks for the help. I have completed the tune up of this 51 year old gun. I have replaced the recoil spring, Extractor, Extractor Spring, Slide Stop/Ejector. I can't think of anything else it should need. I have even bought a new firing pin spring but have not put it in yet. It fires just fine. The only problem I was having was ejection problems, the new slide stop/ejector assembly should take care of the problem. S&W changed the ejector part and made it twice as long as it was back in the 60's