The Firearms Forum banner

S&W MODEL 41

11K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BETH 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum.
Any advice would be appreciated.....

I'm looking to purchase a model 41 and my local gun shop has two used pistols available. One was produced in 1982 ($749) and the other in 1992 ($995) . Both are in really nice condition with the 1992 looking new. Ordering a new model is around $1250. I've searched many threads here and I have read nothing but good info about all models produced. Is there any reason to purchase one year of another?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

#2 ·
hello,and welcome to the forum.to answer your question is difficult without seeing the firearms.if your not familure with the gun then if money is there get the later model.i would at least get as close as look as possible at rifiling etc.sometimes looks are deceiving. old semperfi

#4 ·
mgag303:

In general, collectors like the older guns because the finish is more polished on the older ones. Some of the older guns have a loaded chamber indicator not on the newer ones. The 1992 gun you are looking at was made right about the time that S&W changed to a duller blue job rather than the highly polished blue job of the much earlier guns. If both guns have the same finish then they are before that finish change. My Model 41, purchased in 1993, has the duller finish and a laser engraved serial number. Earlier gun have a stamped serial number.

While it is tempting to buy a new Model 41, the cards are stacked against doing that. S&W stopped production of it and only promises that it will come back but so far that has not been the case. Any new one still in dealers hands probably was made about a year or so ago as S&W has not been delivering any Model 41's for about that long. All of this may have changed by now but if it is new you want, have your dealer see if he can even get a new one from any distributor or S&W direct before you pass on the used ones.

That leaves you with the choice of the two used ones. Personally I'd choose the one that is in the best shape unless there is the finish difference (dull finish vs. highly polished) then I would go for the older one as it will keep its value longer thanks to collectors. I know of no differences, except for the loaded chamber indicator, between all the years going back to the introduction of the gun in the 1950's. Maybe a collector of Model 41's can expand on that (??). Condition should be your guide in this choice.

LDBennett

#6 ·
mgag303:

I am surprised you were able to find new ones. Most model 41 were already sold before they hit the dealers floor. Maybe S&W has restarted production (???).

The 5.5 inch version is better for mounting a red dot and the 7 inch one better for open sight shooting because the sight radius is longer with the longer barrel. I think the balance in the hand is better with the 5.5 inch barrel. There is no measurable difference in the accuracy between the two.

I have the 7 inch version and a Clark 5.5 inch barrel for it with a red dot (UltraDot one inch) mounted. I, of course, prefer the red dot version as it can produce better result because of the increase in sighting accuracy with most full sized red dots.

Have fun with whatever Model 41 you happen to choose. They are superb guns! After the Model 41 you will need to get a Connecticut made High Standard.

LDBennett

#7 ·
This one was bought second hand in 1973 and has been shooting 25 yard groups like this ever since. If all else is equal I would get the older one and use the money saved for buying a case of 22 ammo and some extra magazines.

#8 ·
Thanks guys ..... I truely appreciate the feedback. I've only read positive remarks about the 41. I've shot in competition with my 6.5" model 29 (.44) and my pinnacle custom 6" model 686 (.357). I have a good amount of expeariance with revolvers but not autos. In fact my most recent purchase was a kimber gold match 1911. All very accurate guns but not cheap to shoot - even with re-loading. I look forward to buying .22 ammo.

As if I needed another variable - a forum member contacted me with a new performance center version of the 41 for $1075. I'm not sure of the difference.

Thanks again!

#9 ·
From what I've read the P/C 41 has different sights,grips and a lighter trigger / w a adjustable stop. BTW the 41 Is a top shelf pistol the only bad I've ever heard was from Democrats..... LOL :D

#10 · (Edited)
The 41's are great pistols.
I had a couple in the past & have sold them. I have regretted it ever since.
I started a few days ago to find one. My Firearm dealer said no one has any in stock. I called S&W & they told me 10-12 months. The 41 takes more time to build.
I got on the phone, made a ton of calls & found one at Cabelas's in Dundee Michigan. The gentleman said he had a model 41, 51/2 Barrel, Box & looks like it newer has been fired. I called S&W & it was made in Feb, 1996.
They will ship it on Monday next week.
Got my fingers crossed, It' has no scratches, marks or blems.
R.
R.V.N. --Nov.67-Nov.68
ARTY.

#11 ·
I called S&W about the dull & brighter bluing on the model 41's.
The guy said they had to stop using some of the chemicals due to the E.P.A. rules.
The Democrats always want to take things away from everyone. Money, Firearms, 4-wheel drive trails. The list goes on.
R.

#16 ·
I've owned 4 different 41's over the years, all were superb tack drivers. Over the years since first production in 1958 the only real changes have been minor and cosmetic which speaks to the basic excellence of the original design. At some point, the early 90's I believe, the barrel was drilled and tapped for optics mounts so if you plan to mount optics you need a later gun or at least a later barrel. A 41 with a red dot tube is an unbelieveably accurate machine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.