1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

S&W model 4506

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Oct 23, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I posted this question on the center fire handgun thread also.

I was in my local gun shop yesterday and they had a stainless S&W .45 used for $469.00. At first I thought it was a 1911 but when the clerk handed it to me I realized it wasn't. One difference I noticed immediately was it had no locking bushing. I looked it over pretty good and it appeared to be in great shape. I checked on line and the only S&W .45 auto I could find that looked similar and wasn't a 1911 was a model 945 and those were selling for a couple grand. Can anyone help me identify this? What do you think of the price?

Edit. I just checked with the gun shop and found it was a model 4506. I found this about it on wikipedia:

The Smith & Wesson Model 4506 is a third-generation semi-automatic pistol from Smith & Wesson's 4500 series of handguns. The 4506 is chambered for the powerful .45 ACP cartridge (and with the purchase of special springs, the stronger .45 Super), making it a favorite of law enforcement officers and private citizens alike. It is constructed almost entirely from stainless steel and is thus extremely resistant to harsh weather conditions. The 4506 is a traditional double-action pistol. It features one-piece Xenoy wrap-around grips with either a curved or straight back strap. The 4506 was produced from 1988 to 1999.

So any opinions on the value and performance of this piece?
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009