S&W Model 610 vs. Ruger GP 161

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by wookie810, Jan 8, 2008.

1. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

I am interested in buying my first revolver. I have two choices in mind The S&W 10mm model 610 and the Ruger .357 mag GP161. I was wondering the advantages and disadvantages of both of the guns as far as ballistics, cost, durability, accuracy and overall performance as a hunting side arm and a recreational target shooter as well as a home defense firearm. I am kind of partial to the S&W because I used to own a .40 caliber S&W semi-auto but want something with a little bit more power and accuracy. I am new to revolvers and would like some honest opinions on the pros and cons before I go out and purchase either of these guns.
  2. demented

demented New Member

I'd take a pre-lock Smith over Ruger most any day. By that same token, I doubt I'll ever buy a trigger locked, MIM parts Smith. As for your caliber choices, the .357 will cost less to shoot, either factory or reloads. What are you planning on hunting? I consider the .357 to be a 50 yard shooter at best when going after deer size game. Either caliber will do fine for self/home defense. I prefer a big bore non magnum revolver due to the blast and flash of the .357, I would think full load 10mm's would be as bad.
  3. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

I plan on hunting deer, but where I hunt in the U.P. there are a lot of black bears and would feel a lot safer with something that would stop one if the need should arise. I highly doubt that would ever happen but I would rather have it if I need it. I would use this gun as a backup. Mostly I hunt deer with my .308 Winchester but if it didn't work or I had to close a shot it would be the one I use.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. demented

demented New Member

Some might say the .357 will do for Black bear, not for the price of my hide! The 10mm with heavier bullets would, I feel, be better than the average, off the shelf .357 load. A .44 magnum double action revolver sounds even better! How big the Blacks get up your way? Here, a 300#'r would be big. Those Canadian bears I see being hunted are big enough that I'd insist on a .44!
  5. dusty9

dusty9 Member

I second demented's thoughts. If there is any possibility of encountering a bear, a .44 Magnum is the smallest caliber I would consider. S & W and Ruger both make excellent .44's. S & W's have better triggers, while the Rugers are stronger. A .44 Mag revolver will handle a wide variety of loads, including .44 Special. Another possibility is a .45 Long Colt revolver in a S & W or Ruger. Their large heavy bullets are proven stoppers, especially at short range and there is a variety of good ammo available for them now.
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Need a Ruger RedHawk in 10mm!
    I only wish they made them.
  7. wookie810

wookie810 New Member

The bears around here are 300 easy. I Have shot a .44 and think it is a little to much gun for me though. At least to shoot effectively after the first shot. After thinking about it I guess the gun would be used for primarily hunting, and recreation. The home defense could be covered by my mossburg 500 tactical.
  8. neophyte

neophyte New Member

wookie810: Sir; I know little about the 10mm and much more about the 161.
    Being able to walk into a country store, general store, and ask the counter person for a box of shells. Around here; 10mm come from gun stores only.
    Ballistics on the 10mm are very good, .357 can be a very formidable weapon.
    Ruger GP100
  9. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

They do, and much better. The Ruger Redhawk in .41magnum. I have been using this caliber for large game hunting for over 25 years. Heres my 3.

A Leupold scoped 7.5", a 5.5" and my custom 4"....all three stainless.

[​IMG]