S&W MODEL 617 22LR 10 shot ACCURACY

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by SHAD, Oct 25, 2004.

1. SHAD

SHAD New Member

I have heard that the S&W model 617 22LR revolver in the 10 shot model does not shoot as well as the 6 shot models do. I have owned both and am not sure. I have heard about accuracy questions on the 10 shot cylinder from several sources. What have any of you heard about them, and has S&W addressed the issue. I heard that they were aware of it.
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well Shad, I'm planning on getting myself one of the 6", 6 shot model 617's in the next week or two. I dry fired one of the 10 shot models, and I didn't like the feel of it in double action. The trigger pull on the 6 shot model feels more like the triggers on my two 686's.
    I shoot inter club bullseye matches, and I recently replaced my 6" GP-100 with a 6" S&W 686, and I'm getting the 6" 617 for the .22 stages of these matches. I'll also be using it for our club's Dot shoots, so I do hope the accuracy of the 6 shot models aren't in question.

Actually, I can't imagine what effect the number of chambers in the cylinder would have on accuracy, unless they had a batch of the 10 round cylinders that weren't machined right, or they are having timing and alignment problems with them, beyond that I assume the barrels are the same.
  3. z537z

z537z New Member

My only guess would be that somehow, in order to make all 10 rounds cram in there, something in the cylinder or barrel was sacrificed a little to make things go smoothly.
    But I doubt it.

I have the 6-shot model, the DA is as smooth as anything I can imagine, and of course SA is beautiful.

I'd guess the barrel and frame to be the same, and just tweaked internals to account for the lesser cylinder rotation.

My 6-shot shoots 100 times better than I do, and any difference there MAY be would probably only show up in a gun vise anyhow.

_z
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

z537z.....what ammo does your 617 like the best......?
  5. z537z

z537z New Member

I haven't really noticed much difference in accuracy as I have yet to rest the pistol, or scope it for any target shooting.

What I have noticed is a habit for excess powder to clog my cylinder pretty quickly. So I try to use clean rounds. My report on that front:

TERRIBLE:
    Anything made by Remington.
    Most Winchester
    OK:
    Winchester Dynapoint
    Federal Bulk (550 or 525 packs of loose stuff)
    GREAT:
    Federal Classic, seen here:
    http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/catalog/product_187_Federal_Federal_Classic_22_Long_Rifle_40_gr.html

Accurate, clean, reliable. Really nice stuff, not bad for 2$ a box. Only super stuff I've yet to try out.

_z
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'll have to give that Federal Classic a try. Years ago I used Federal standard velocity (red box) in my Single six, and I could hit a fly at 50 feet with that stuff, never any FTF's, and fairly clean stuff too.....

Thanks.....

Tony