S&W Sigma .40 Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchased a S&W Sigma 40V in (obviously) .40 cal. It was the right caliber and make at the right price, but since purchasing it I've seen numerous complaints online about problems with misfeeds, striker pin fouling, frame cracks and poor ejection. Anyone out there have any of these same (or other)problems with a Sigma, .40 or 9mm? I understand that S&W redesigned the Sigma line when it became obvious the original designs had some flaws, and that the VE lines are much more reliable. If anyone has, I'm curious about your experiences and about what you did to remedy the problem(s). Did S&W fix it for you, or a local smith, & if so, at what cost? Are there any parts that can be retrofitted for better performance? Basically, I'd like to get any first-hand advice / information about how to make my Sigma more reliable, since I may be counting on it someday in a life & death situation.
    Oh, and the "buy a better gun" line isn't what I'm looking for either. I'm on a budget, and can't afford to drop 5 or 6 hundred bucks or more on something nicer, or the grand plus I'd love to spend on something from S&W PC.

Thanks in advance,
    madciti

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 7:19:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .40 S&W Sigma 40V troubles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Sigma line has such a poor performance record and poor resale value that we stopped accepting them as trade-ins.

My experience with them is if you get one that works well, keep it and baby it. If you get one that doesn't work well it becomes a money pit.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 7:42:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .40 S&W Sigma 40V troubles
    Either you love them or hate them...

Quote:
    All the Sigma pistols are DAO Glock imitations and are meant for one purpose only. Close range self defense.

All I've read, has been review complains about their crummy triggers.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com
  2. Model American

Model American New Member

I just got a sw40ve as a gift. After 300 rounds, I had one jam. Cleared it and no issues since. My opinion is, that it is not a bad firearm. But, then again, it is my first firearm.